Whiplash is a term used to describe an injury to the neck caused by a sudden movement of the head. This can happen after a car accident, sports injury, physical abuse, or even a fall. Whiplash can cause pain and stiffness in the neck and headaches and dizziness.
A whiplash injury can be very traumatic and cause long-term pain, and it is important to have someone on your side who understands the law and can help you get through this difficult time.
If you have been in an accident and think you may have whiplash, contact the experienced personal injury lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. today for a free consultation. We will help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
What Is Another Word for Whiplash?
The term “whiplash” is often used to describe a neck sprain or strain, so you may also hear the term “cervical sprain or strain.” This refers to an injury to the ligaments in your neck. A cervical sprain or strain can cause pain, stiffness, and a limited range of motion.
How Does Whiplash Feel?
Whiplash-associated disorders (WAD) is a term used to describe the range of symptoms that can occur due to whiplash. WAD can cause significant disability and affect your ability to work or participate in your normal activities.
Symptoms of whiplash can vary from person to person. Some people may experience only minor discomfort, while others may have more severe symptoms that persist for weeks or even months. The most common whiplash symptoms are:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Reduced range of motion
- Radiating pain in the arms
- Numbness or tingling in the arms, hands, or fingers
Other signs of whiplash include neurological disorders such as:
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to seek medical help. Early diagnosis and treatment can help to reduce the severity of your symptoms and improve your chances of a full recovery.
How is Whiplash Diagnosed?
One of the most important things to do if you think you may have whiplash is to see a doctor. Your doctor will be able to diagnose your injury and determine the best course of treatment. There are a few different ways that whiplash can be diagnosed, including:
- Physical exam: The doctor will check for swelling and tenderness in your neck and ask you about your symptoms.
- X-rays: These can rule out other injuries, such as fractures.
- CT scan or MRI: These imaging tests can show soft tissue damage caused by whiplash.
- Neck mobility tests: The doctor may move your head in different directions to see evidence of neck strain.
How is Whiplash Treated?
The treatment for whiplash and other neck injuries varies depending on the severity of your injury.
- Physical Therapy – Physical therapists help relieve pain, strengthen sore neck muscles, and improve range of motion through exercises and other treatments.
- Massage Therapy – Massage therapy may be recommended regularly to help keep the muscles loose and reduce the risk of long-term complications such as chronic pain.
- Injections – Corticosteroid or lidocaine injections can help relieve muscle pain or spasms.
- Pain Medication – Your doctor may prescribe over-the-counter or prescription pain medication to help relieve your pain.
Can I File a Lawsuit for a Whiplash Injury?
You may be able to sue for a whiplash injury if the accident that caused your injury was someone else’s fault.
To determine whether you have a case, it is important to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer who can review the facts of your situation and advise you on your best course of action. If you decide to file a lawsuit, your attorney will help you gather evidence to support your claim and negotiate with the other driver’s insurance company for fair compensation.
What Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Can Do For You
The Washington, D.C. car accident lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a motor vehicle accident, gathering the evidence to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
Recovering Damages for Whiplash Injuries
Many factors go into determining the value of your case. These include medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our attorneys have experience evaluating cases just like yours to determine what they may be worth and will work hard to get you fair compensation for your injuries.
We Get You Results
Here are a few of our case results:
- $6 million for a client who suffered a brain injury after being involved in a rear-end collision.
- $4.8 million for a severely injured client after another vehicle struck his motorcycle.
- $1.9 million for a client who suffered a permanent back injury due to a car accident.
- $1.5 million for a client who had to undergo multiple surgeries after a negligent motorist cut off his motorcycle.
- $1 million settlement obtained on behalf of our 19-year-old client who was a passenger in a car in which the driver lost control, causing a collision. As a result, our client suffered extensive brain damage with cognitive impairment. He was in a coma for an extended period of time. Although he has regained consciousness, he is unable to care for himself. The law firm asked the Court to appoint him a guardian to care for him. The law firm is helping to establish a special needs trust so that the proceeds from the settlement will be protected against any medical liens.
- $1 million settlement on behalf of a client who suffered a brain injury when the driver of the car in which he was a passenger lost control of his vehicle.
Contact an Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level representation available for your personal injury case, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.