Washington, DC Train Accident Lawyer
Injured in a Train Crash? Call Us for a FREE Case Review.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. represents individuals and families who have suffered harm in accidents involving trains and public transit, including Amtrak and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA), or Metro. If you or a loved one has been injured in a train accident – or if you have lost a family member in a fatal accident – our team of nationally recognized wrongful death and personal injury lawyers are prepared to guide you through the legal process and fight for the compensation you deserve.
We represent all types of train accident cases, including those that involve:
- Train crashes and derailments
- Negligent maintenance of train equipment
- Negligent maintenance of escalators and platforms
- Mechanical failures
- Safety violations
- Inadequate emergency standards
- Amtrak and Metro Accidents
Our firm has extensive experience litigating train accident cases, including cases against WMATA (Metro), Amtrak, and CSX transportation. We have represented victims from almost every major catastrophic train accident that has occurred in the District of Columbia area over the last decade. If you or someone you love was hurt in a serious train accident, call us at (202) 659-8600 for a FREE consultation.
DO I HAVE A CASE?
Whether or not you have a case will depend on the unique facts and circumstances of your situation. Generally, victims who were injured in train accidents were not at fault and will be eligible to file a lawsuit. These victims can include passengers, individuals nearby, or even motorists involved in collisions with trains.
I LOST A LOVED ONE IN A TRAIN ACCIDENT. WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS?
Families who lose a loved one in fatal train accidents can file wrongful death claims to hold at-fault parties accountable. While nothing can ever replace a loved one, wrongful death lawsuits can allow families to secure justice and monetary compensation for their damages, including the loss of emotional and financial support.
WHO CAN BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR A TRAIN ACCIDENT?
This also depends on the facts of a case. For example, victims harmed in train accidents may file claims for damages against train companies – which is often the case if the accident was caused by negligent or reckless operation of a train, negligent oversight of train company employees, or negligent employers. If a train accident was caused by adefective product, however, lawsuits may be filed against manufacturers of train equipment or parts.
IS THERE A TIME LIMIT FOR FILING A TRAIN ACCIDENT CLAIM?
Yes, Washington DC and other jurisdictions enforce time limits known as the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations can vary depending on the jurisdiction and whether the case involved personal injury or wrongful death. It is advised that victims and families take immediate action in bringing their case to the attention of a lawyer, as it can ensure attorneys have the necessary time to build a case and file it within the statute of limitations.
WHAT COMPENSATION CAN I RECOVER?
Under the law, victims and families who suffer harm in accidents that were not their fault are eligible to recover financial compensation for their damages. Damages will vary on an individual basis, but can include:
- Medical bills
- The cost of future medical care
- Past and future lost wages or benefits
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish for the loss of a loved one
- Loss of parental support and guidance
- Funeral costs
- Loss of quality of life
HOW CAN A TRAIN ACCIDENT ATTORNEY HELP?
Working with an experienced train accident attorney in Washington DC can make all the difference in your case. Your lawyer can handle all of the legal work and investigations on your behalf while you focus on your recovery.
They can also go to battle with train companies and insurance companies that do everything they can to minimize payouts. Train accident cases can be incredibly complex, and they demand the attention of trial lawyers who have hands-on experience with similar cases – like those at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C.
Below are examples of train accident cases we have handled:
- We successfully handled a wrongful death case on behalf of the family of one of the individuals that died in the June 22, 2009 crash involving two Red Line Washington Metro trains near the Fort Totten Metro station. Partners Joe Cammarata and Allan M. Siegel served on the steering committee for the multi-party litigation that resulted following this tragic case. The Fort Totten Red Line crash resulted in nine deaths, and is the deadliest crash in the history of the Washington Metro.
- We successfully represented a victim involved in a 2004 Metro train crash in Woodley Park Metro station in which the colliding train climbed on the roof of the other train, sheering the aluminum shell off one of the cars. The crash resulted in the National Transportation Safety Board recommending that Metro retire its older railcars and replace them with more crashworthy cars, or improve collision protection of older railcars. Victims were able to recover compensation for their physical injuries and the emotional suffering they endured as a result of being involved in such a traumatic event.
- Our firm represented a victim injured in the 2002 Amtrak derailment in Kensington, Maryland and obtained compensation for both her physical and emotional injuries.
- We successfully resolved a case on behalf of a client injured in the 1996 derailment of a MARC Train in Silver Spring, Maryland. The collision was caused by negligence of the crew and resulted in the creation of comprehensive federal rules for passenger car design and operating rules.
Discuss Your Case with a Train Accident Lawyer in DC
The laws governing train accidents are highly complex; it takes sophisticated representation from a Washington DC train accident lawyer to provide you with the greatest likelihood of success in your claim.
When you work with our firm, we will investigate every aspect of the accident to ensure you get fair compensation for your injuries. Our attention to detail will ensure that no aspect of your case will be overlooked, and that train companies are held fully accountable for its failures to maintain a safe system for its passengers.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has helped many clients through the personal injury and wrongful death process after train accidents, including those involving Amtrak and Washington Metro. Over the past decade, our firm has represented victims from almost every major train incident in the DC Metropolitan area.
We keep clients fully informed about the progress of their cases and fight to secure the maximum compensation possible. Our attorneys also know accidents can make for difficult times, which is why clients only pay us if and when we win their case. To learn more about how we can help you, contact our firm for a free consultation.
We represent clients throughout the District of Columbia Metropolitan area and have offices in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC. Give us a call today.