Whiplash is a neck injury caused when the head is suddenly jerked backward and forward. Whiplash injuries can occur after a car accident or sports injury and often go diagnosed, leading to chronic neck pain. If you have been in a car accident, it is important to be aware of the signs and symptoms of whiplash, as some symptoms may not appear until hours or days after the accident.
If you are experiencing a whiplash injury due to someone else’s negligence, you are entitled to compensation for any medical treatment you receive for your injury. Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. today for what steps to take next to recover compensation for costs related to your treatment.
Common Symptoms of Whiplash
- Worsening of pain with neck movement
- Loss of range of motion in the neck
- Ringing in the ears
- Headaches, most often starting at the base of the skull
- Pain in neck muscles and stiffness
- Tingling or numbness in the arms
Some people experience more severe symptoms, including:
- Blurry vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Sleep disturbances
- Difficulty concentrating
- Memory problems
If you have been in an auto accident and are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, you should seek medical treatment. Prompt diagnosis and treatment are important to prevent further injury and improve your prognosis.
How Is Whiplash Diagnosed?
The first step in diagnosing whiplash is to visit a doctor or medical professional. They will ask about your symptoms and how the injury occurred. They will also conduct a physical examination of your neck and spine.
Imaging tests, such as X-rays, MRIs, or CT scans, may also be ordered to rule out other conditions that could be making your neck pain worse, such as a herniated disc.
Common Treatments for Whiplash
There is no one-size-fits-all treatment for neck injuries such as whiplash. The condition can vary from person to person, and treatment will vary depending on the severity of your injury, but early diagnosis and intervention are crucial for a full recovery. Common treatments used to temporarily ease neck pain include:
- Pain Medication: Your doctor may prescribe over-the-counter or prescription pain medication if you have moderate whiplash pain. People with ongoing whiplash pain may be given certain antidepressant drugs known to relieve nerve pain in severe cases.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy is a common treatment for whiplash injuries. Physical therapy can help to improve range of motion, flexibility, and strength.
- Chiropractic Care: Chiropractors use various techniques, such as massage, manipulation, and adjustment to help restore alignment and provide pain relief. Chiropractic care can help to improve the range of motion in your neck and shoulders and reduce inflammation.
- Massage Therapy: is a gentle form of massage that uses hands-on techniques to help treat whiplash pain. Massage therapy can help to improve blood circulation, reduce inflammation, and promote healing.
Long-Term Complications of Whiplash
Whiplash is a serious injury that can lead to long-term complications, such as chronic pain, headaches, and dizziness. If you think you may have whiplash, it is important to see a doctor right away. Early diagnosis and treatment are essential for preventing long-term complications.
What Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Can Do For You
The Washington, D.C. car accident lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a motor vehicle accident, gathering the evidence to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
Recovering Damages for Whiplash Injuries
Many factors go into determining the value of your case. These include medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our attorneys have experience evaluating cases just like yours to determine what they may be worth and will work hard to get you fair compensation for your injuries.
Here are a few of our case results:
- $6 million for a client who suffered a brain injury after being involved in a rear-end collision.
- $4.8 million for a severely injured client after another vehicle struck his motorcycle.
- $1.9 million for a client who suffered a permanent back injury due to a car accident.
- $1.5 million for a client who had to undergo multiple surgeries after a negligent motorist cut off his motorcycle.
- $1 million settlement obtained on behalf of our 19-year-old client who was a passenger in a car in which the driver lost control, causing a collision. As a result, our client suffered extensive brain damage with cognitive impairment. He was in a coma for an extended period of time. Although he has regained consciousness, he is unable to care for himself. The law firm asked the Court to appoint him a guardian to care for him. The law firm is helping to establish a special needs trust so that the proceeds from the settlement will be protected against any medical liens.
- $1 million settlement on behalf of a client who suffered a brain injury when the driver of the car in which he was a passenger lost control of his vehicle.
Contact an Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level representation available for your personal injury case, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.