One of the most common car accident injuries people suffer from is whiplash. A whiplash injury occurs when the head is whipped forward and then back again, resulting in damage to the neck’s muscles, tendons, and ligaments. This type of neck injury can also occur during sports injuries, falls, or physical abuse. While whiplash injuries may not seem serious, they can lead to long-term health problems if not treated properly.
If you are experiencing a whiplash injury due to someone else’s negligence, you are entitled to compensation for any medical treatment you receive for your injury. Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. today for what steps to take next to recover compensation for costs related to your treatment.
Whiplash Associated Disorders (WAD)
Whiplash Associated Disorders (WAD) is a term used to describe the range of symptoms that can occur due to whiplash. WAD can cause significant disability and affect your ability to work or participate in your normal activities.
There are numerous symptoms associated with whiplash, and they can vary in intensity. The most common sign of a whiplash injury is neck pain or stiffness. Other symptoms may include:
- Worsening of pain with neck movement
- Loss of range of motion in the neck
- Headaches, most often starting at the base of the skull
- Ringing in the ears
- Pain in neck muscles and stiffness
- Tingling or numbness in the arms, hands, or fingers
Some people who experience severe whiplash symptoms may suffer from chronic whiplash. This includes:
- Blurry vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Sleep disturbances
- Difficulty concentrating
- Memory problems
If you have been in an auto accident and are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, you should seek medical treatment. Prompt diagnosis and treatment are important to prevent further injury and improve your prognosis.
Long-Term Effects of Whiplash After a Car Accident
While whiplash may not seem like a serious injury at first, it can lead to long-term health problems if it’s not treated correctly. That’s why it’s important to see a doctor after you’ve been in an accident, even if you don’t think you’ve been injured. Some of the long-term effects of whiplash include:
- Chronic Neck Pain: One of whiplash’s most common long-term effects is chronic pain. This pain can range from a dull ache to sharp, stabbing sensations. Chronic pain can make it challenging to carry out your everyday activities, work, and even sleep. It may be constant or come and go.
- Severe Headaches: Headaches may start immediately after the accident that caused the initial injury or several weeks later. The pain may be throbbing, pressure-like, or aching, usually located on one side of the head. Many people find that their headaches are worse when they bend over or move their neck from side to side.
- Dizziness: Dizziness, lightheadedness, and vertigo are all common side effects of whiplash. These symptoms can make driving, working, and even walking difficult.
- Fatigue: You may feel tired all the time or find it difficult to get a good night’s sleep. This fatigue can make it hard to concentrate and make it difficult to carry out your normal activities.
If you’re experiencing any of these long-term effects of whiplash, it’s important to see a doctor as soon as possible. They can help you find ways to manage your pain and other symptoms. In some cases, they may also recommend physical therapy or other types of treatments.
Can I File a Claim to Recover Compensation for a Whiplash Injury?
To determine whether you have a case, it is important to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., who will review the facts of your situation and advise you on your best course of action.
Our team is here to support accident victims. We will help you gather evidence to support your claim and negotiate with the other driver’s insurance company for fair compensation.
What Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Can Do For You
The Washington, D.C. car accident lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a motor vehicle accident, gathering the evidence to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
How Much is My Claim Worth?
Many factors go into determining the value of personal injury claims. These include medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our attorneys have experience evaluating cases just like yours to determine what they may be worth and will work hard to get you fair compensation for your injuries.
Here are a few of our case results:
- $6 million for a client who suffered a brain injury after being involved in a rear-end collision.
- $4.8 million for a severely injured client after another vehicle struck his motorcycle.
- $1.9 million for a client who suffered a permanent back injury due to a car accident.
- $1.5 million for a client who had to undergo multiple surgeries after a negligent motorist cut off his motorcycle.
- $1 million settlement obtained on behalf of our 19-year-old client who was a passenger in a car in which the driver lost control, causing a collision. As a result, our client suffered extensive brain damage with cognitive impairment. He was in a coma for an extended period of time. Although he has regained consciousness, he is unable to care for himself. The law firm asked the Court to appoint him a guardian to care for him. The law firm is helping to establish a special needs trust so that the proceeds from the settlement will be protected against any medical liens.
- $1 million settlement on behalf of a client who suffered a brain injury when the driver of the car in which he was a passenger lost control of his vehicle.
Contact an Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level representation available for your personal injury case, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.