Alexandria Car Accident Attorney
Getting into a car accident is traumatic enough. Having to deal with insurance companies and the other drivers involved can be overwhelming when you should be concentrating on your recovery. Car accidents are unfortunately common in Alexandria. In the state of Virginia in 2019, there were a recorded 128,172 car accidents. Over 800 of those car accidents were fatal. In Alexandria, VA alone, the number of motor vehicle accidents in 2019 was nearly 1,500. This is a staggering amount of accidents in northern Virginia. These are often caused by the negligence of other drivers, distracted driving, and the unwillingness of drivers to obey traffic laws. Whether it is a person breezing through a stop sign or trying to beat a red light, these negligent acts can cause terrible and sometimes life-altering car accidents. If you are injured, our car accident attorney’s primary goal is to obtain a fair settlement for your car accident case from your car accident. We are here to help guide you through filing a car accident claim.
What Should I Do When I Get in a Car Accident?
One minute you are taking your daily commute to work in the morning. The next minute, someone else is running late for an appointment and tries to beat the light. Your regular morning commute quickly turns into a high-stress and dangerous situation.
Your airbag goes off in your car, and suddenly a million things are going through your head. Am I okay? Who do I call first? How bad is the damage to my car?
Below is a quick and thorough guide of what to do in the event of an accident.
- Check for any physical injuries and seek immediate medical care.
- Your first priority is yourself. Make sure you are somewhere safe after the accident, and check for any personal injuries. It isn’t uncommon for the adrenalin to be high in the event of an accident and you don’t realize you are injured until several hours later.
- Call the police to report the accident.
- If it can be avoided, don’t engage in conversation with the other driver until police officers are on the car accident scene. Remember that it is the police’s job to direct traffic, not yours. Trying to do so yourself can cause another accident.
- Never admit fault
- The state of Virginia has a law called contributory negligence. So even if the other driver is at fault, you could lose your car accident case if it can be proven that you are even 1% at fault. So after a car accident, you should never admit fault to the other driver or apologize. Apologies can be seen as an admission of fault for the accident, regardless of the context. Even if you did nothing wrong, it might be hard to explain that your statements at the scene are not evidence of partial responsibility. It may be challenging to emotionally separate yourself from the other driver, but our best legal advice is to protect yourself first.
- Exchange information with the other driver. This information is the most critical information to your case and should always be kept for your records.
- Name and contact information
- Insurance provider and policy number
- License plate number and driver’s license number
- Take pictures of the accident.
- Taking close-up photos of the property damage to the vehicles is essential. Other images such as pictures of the positioning of the cars and what is in the surrounding area are also beneficial.
- If there are witnesses, gather their contact information.
- If you seek compensation for damages and personal injuries from the car accident, first-hand accounts from witnesses can be crucial evidence for your case.
- Contact your insurance company.
- Be sure to call your insurance company within 24 hours of the accident. They can send an adjuster to determine how much damage was done and file an insurance claim.
What Should I Expect From a Car Accident Attorney?
Car accident lawyers protect your rights and help you recover fair compensation from the responsible party for lost wages, medical bills, vehicle damage, and pain and suffering caused by the car accident. Our award-winning attorneys have a combined experience of over 100 years. We have helped hundreds of families recover damages from car accidents.
Our car accident attorney’s goals are to help determine and prove liability in the accident by gathering crucial evidence and communicating with the insurance company with you, so you aren’t alone and potentially taken advantage of or pressured into accepting a settlement that is too small or unfair.
Is It Worth Getting a Car Accident Lawyer?
Absolutely. The process of settling with an insurance company can be time-consuming and messy, and in the event of an accident, you are vulnerable and in need of the best possible advocate for you. Our experienced car accident lawyers can help guide you through the process and help you receive your maximum compensation from the insurance company.
A few of the results we’ve secured for our client’s car accident cases include:
- $6 million – settlement for a client who suffered a brain injury in a rear-end accident
- $4.8 million – settlement for a seriously injured motorcycle accident victim struck by a vehicle
- $1.9 million – jury verdict awarded to a client who suffered a permanent back injury in a car accident.
Many people attempt to handle insurance claims themselves. Doing this alone can be challenging for someone unfamiliar with determining liability, calculating costs, and gathering medical records for your claim – especially while recovering from injuries. Insurance companies may try to get you to give a recorded statement or get you to contradict yourself or admit fault.
A car accident lawyer is there to defend you and ensure the other party does not take advantage of you. Our experienced attorneys can get your claim noticed by the insurance company and save you the stress of managing complicated legal procedures. Also, we don’t charge any fees unless we win your case. In addition, the first consultation is always free, so there is no harm in calling us to talk and learn your rights.
What is a Good Settlement Offer?
Every car accident case settlement amount will vary depending on the damages done. Car accident victims have the right to pursue compensation from the at-fault party for their negligence. Insurance companies will try to dispute your car accident claims in an attempt to limit the amount of the settlement. Remember: at the end of the day, an insurance company is a business.
Our award-winning Alexandria area accident lawyers will help you prove your case and receive the financial compensation you are entitled to.
Our experience with car accident claims means that we can recover different types of damages, including economic, non-economic, and even wrongful death.
Economic damages are relatively straightforward to determine. These are costs you incurred from damage to your vehicle, any medical bills you have encountered and will encounter in the future from things like rehabilitation or surgery, and lost wages or reduced earning potential. This amount should include lost wages, medical bills, damages to property, court costs, and even pain and suffering.
Non-economic damages are more difficult to pinpoint a number to, which is why hiring an experienced car accident lawyer is essential. These are damages like pain and suffering, disfigurement and physical impairment, or loss of companionship. Car accident attorneys are familiar with what constitutes non-economic damages.
Wrongful Death Damages
Lastly, wrongful death damages are sought in the unfortunate event that you experienced the loss of a loved one due to the negligence of the other party. Settlements for wrongful death are meant to cover expenses related to funeral and burial costs, income lost, mental anguish from their loss and the loss of companionship.
Do I Need to Take My Car Accident Case to Court?
Not always. Many claims worked by an experienced car accident attorney can be settled outside of court if a fair settlement is reached. You have a right to legal representation to be in your corner through the entire process of your claim, whether it goes to court or not. If your claim turns into a personal injury lawsuit, our law firm has years of trial experience with these cases and has taken many car accident cases to trial. We protect our clients throughout the process to ensure the insurance companies pay you maximum compensation for your car accident.
Why You Can Trust Us
If you are looking for a car accident lawyer in Alexandria or are interested in one of our related practice areas, we are here for you. Our experienced attorneys care about our clients and want you to understand your rights and options to recover compensation. Our legal team will provide a free evaluation for your car accident case. We only get paid if we successfully recover compensation for your claim.
We handle all types of car accident cases, including but not limited to rear-end collisions, distracted driving accidents, drunk driving accidents, uninsured motorist accidents, single-vehicle accidents, car accidents with motorcycles and bicycles, and car accidents with buses and tractor-trailers.
Contact An Award-Winning Law Firm Today
Chaikin Sherman Cammarata Siegel P.C. is here to defend you in your car accident case. We recommend that you speak with a lawyer before speaking with the other driver’s insurance company to protect yourself.
The earlier our legal team can become involved, the stronger your case will be. We understand your difficult situation, but timing is crucial for getting the settlement you deserve.
By contacting us as soon as possible, you will avoid complications like: filing deadlines, expiring evidence, or the piling up of overwhelming expenses. Call us for a risk-free evaluation.