Personal Injury Lawyers Backed by More Than 50 Years of Proven Results and RecognitionGet in touch
Personal Injury Attorneys
After a Serious Accident or Injury, Our Award-Winning Attorneys Will Fight for You
For more than 50 years, our Washington DC personal injury lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have been fighting for the rights of those injured due to the negligence of others. In that time, we have built a reputation as a smart, compassionate, and effective legal team that clients are proud to recommend to friends and family. The firm has built its reputation on an unwavering commitment to aggressive, and creative litigation strategies, seeking to ensure every personal injury client receives complete justice.
Reputation Matters. We command respect from adjusters and powerful businesses.
Our award-winning attorneys are recognized in national publications and in the legal community, serving as leaders in their national and local lawyer associations. Three partners are Past Presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan, Washington, DC, and two Partners currently serve on the Board of Directors of the Brain Injury Litigation Group of the American Association for Justice.
The firm focuses on helping individuals who have suffered personal injury, including a traumatic brain injury or death, from a car accident, truck accident, mass transit collision, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse or neglect, and unsafe premises. When you call Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., you will find a personal injury lawyer who is committed to achieving the best possible outcome on your behalf. The firm’s dedication and compassion to individuals injured by no fault of their own, has resulted in the recovery of over $500 million in compensation for our clients.
As Seen on
Contact an Attorney Right Away After an Injury Happens
In the simplest terms, you need to hire a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after an accident or serious injury happens. It is almost always in your best interests to at least consult with an attorney soon after the incident, even if you think that hiring a lawyer is not necessitated by the severity of your injuries.
If you have been in a serious accident, the earlier our legal team can become involved, the stronger you case will be for several reasons:
Claims Have Deadlines for Filing
In some situations, you only have a few months or years to legally pursue a claim after an accident. It is important to find a personal injury lawyer Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia residents have relied on to navigate these legal guidelines.
Once a claim is filed with the other party's insurance company, they hire an adjuster to investigate. They are motivated by profits, not your well being, they commonly work hard to pay you less than you deserve. They're are not on your side and more often than not see to take advantage of what you do not know. This is where an experienced personal injury lawyer can help.
Property damage, medical expenses and lost wages can put you and your family at risk. The financial toll from an injury can even make it difficult to recover physically. A Washington DC personal injury lawyer can help you get what you deserve.
We Are a Law Firm That Gets Results
Why Choose Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C.?
Consult an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer Washington DC Residents Have Trusted for Over 50 Years
Many clients come to us wondering about their options, their rights, and who to trust. Whether your injury involves extensive medical records, numerous state laws, or a challenging physical recovery, here is what matters when you need help.
Fierce & Compassionate Representation
Since starting our firm, our talented personal injury lawyers have served thousands of clients in Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. We understand what you are going through. Hundreds of positive reviews and client testimonials are testament to our guiding philosophy of fierce and compassionate representation.Our Testimonials
National Recognition and Awards
We are ranked a “Best Law Firm” by U.S. News and World Report in the fields of Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice. We have earned the highest ratings from Martindale Hubbell® and have been recognized by such publications as Washingtonian Magazine, Best Lawyers in America® Washington D.C. Super Lawyers® Magazine, and Northern Virginia Magazine.Our Awards
Hundreds of Millions in Recoveries
We have successfully recovered over half a billion dollars for our clients in cases involving car accidents, truck accidents, brain injuries, medical malpractice and more.Our Results
No Fee Unless You Win
We work on a contingency basis, which means we do not get paid until you do. We also advance all necessary legal expenses, so there are not out of pocket expenses when you hire us.Our Policy
Hear from Our Clients
- Michala P"I was involved in a car wreck (not at my own fault) and was unhappy with the the insurance claim I was offered. Had no idea what to do and contacted them at 6pm I got a call back directly from Allan M. Siegel at 9pm at night! He gave me incredible advice for free - with it i'll probably be able to avoid court. Clearly, he did this out of kindness and is a genuinely good person, could've taken my money and had me go to court anyway, which is what I was worried about. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend them to whoever is looking for help!”
- Mercedes F"Allan Siegel and his team took on my case when I was at the end of my ropes after unprofessional experiences with not one but two law firms. As a bicyclist, I am grateful to Allan and his team for recognizing, advocating and fighting for my rights as a bicyclist and successfully taking on my case. I highly recommend the law firm!"
- Debra C."I was referred to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel in December 2018. When I called the office, I was received in a very professional and friendly manner, which was always the case each time I called. Allan Siegel, my attorney, was professional as he listened to all of my concerns and addressed each one of them. I felt very comfortable with him. He assured me of his support and did negotiate a satisfactory win. I highly recommend him and his colleagues. Quality customer service is important to me and I was impressed with all they did for me. Thank you Allan - I appreciate all that you did for me.”
- Lamont J."Without a doubt, this is the best law firm experience I have ever had. Allan Siegal is an honest, top notch, no nonsense attorney that is all about YOU the client. He won’t rest until justice is served, no matter how long the journey, he is by your side. I recommend this firm and Allan in particular for all your major legal challenges! I am beyond satisfied with my results!”
- Jonniece S."First time serious car accident and I had no idea on what to do or how to do it. I’m so thankful for my lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Allan & Erik helped me every step of the way they made sure to keep me updated during the entire settlement process. I even experienced a very tragic loss during the settlement process and they sent flowers and cards,things like that makes you feel like family. I would recommend for ANYONE I know to choose Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. you won’t regret it.”
- Oscar E."I hired Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel as my attorneys after my car accident. Office is very conveniently located in D.C. I have been kept well informed throughout the entire process. They have readily accessible staff who are very friendly. From the receptionist to my attorney Allan Siegel, everyone is great! They really care about their client's health and well-being. And win the toughest battles. I highly recommend this law firm for anyone who is injured and needs legal assistance.”
- Hazel B."The best law firm to get you the Justice that you deserve. Mr. Cammarata and all the staff treated me with respect and dignity. Mr. Cammarata worked diligently on my case and kept me informed. He called me to check on my well being which really helped me to stay emotionally in control. I felt like family. I will be forever grateful to the law firm of Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata and Siegel."
- Shay B."If I could I would give 10 stars. This is wonderful boutique firm (I love that) with some serious muscle behind it. They are kind, professional, take care of their clients and fight for them. There’s an elegance in how they work. They make you comfortable knowing they are “on the case” - beginning to end. Joe, Allan and the team are wonderful. It certainly doesn’t hurt that Joe is a bona fide bada**. What else could you ask for?!"
MEET OUR LEGAL TEAM
We have dedicated our professional careers and personal lives to fighting for victims and their families. We are confident we can help you through difficult times. We serve clients from offices in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia.
Frequently Asked Questions
A personal injury lawyer provides legal services to those who claim to have been injured because of the negligence of another. Unlike criminal lawyers, personal injury lawsuits do not focus on whether someone violated the law. Instead, they examine whether an individual is financially responsible for the victim’s injuries and losses. When personal injury cases are successful, victims are entitled to financial compensation for their economic and non-economic damages.
Determining whether you have a personal injury lawsuit depends on the facts unique to your situation. Generally, an attorney will listen to what happened to you and let you know if you have a personal injury case based on three factors
1.) The responsible party was careless and negligent.
2.) The negligence caused the personal injury.
3.) The injury resulted in harm and compensatory damages.
Because every case is different, you should contact one of our personal injury lawyers for a risk-free, no-cost case evaluation.
When you reach a settlement in your case, the insurance company will send you a release, which is a document that releases the negligent party from any further liability. Once the release is signed, the insurance company will write a check for the settlement amount.
Lump Sum vs. Structured Settlements
In a successful personal injury claim, you may have the option of receiving the settlement amount in a lump sum or in structured payments. A lump-sum settlement is a single payment for the full amount of the settlement. A structured settlement is a series of payments over time.
Many cases settle before litigation, but others must be litigated and tried in front of a jury. How long your case takes to resolve will depend on many factors. However, if the wrongdoer refuses to pay a fair amount of money for your injuries, you can rest assured that our personal injury attorneys will do what it takes to ensure you get full and fair compensation.
While there are many, some of the most common are:
- Determine fault
- Gather evidence
- Assess injuries/Illness
- Get medical treatment
- Calculate damages
- Settlement or trial
- Receive compensation
Contributory negligence is a legal standard that bars an injured plaintiff from recovering damages from the defendant if they contributed to their injury. In a contributory negligence state, even if a plaintiff is only 1% at fault for an accident that left them with a serious injury, they may not be successful in a claim against another party for damages.
If you are injured in an accident in Washington DC, you may be entitled to make a personal injury claim for medical bills, lost wages, and any emotional distress you suffer. This is money paid to you by the person or company responsible for your injuries. The portion of your settlement attributable to your injury is not taxable in a personal injury claim. While most compensation awarded in a personal injury claim is not taxable, there are some instances where it may be, such as punitive damages.
A wrongful death claim is when a person or their family files a lawsuit against another person, company, or organization after that person’s death. This can happen if someone was killed because of something the person responsible for their death did negligently or intentionally. For example, if a drunk driver hits your loved one and kills them, you could file a wrongful death suit against the driver because they were at fault for their death.
If successful, you may be awarded damages like pain and suffering, medical bills related to the accident/injury that led up to the decedent’s death, funeral costs, and more.
- Conduct a free consultation
- Investigate your claim
- Communicate with the insurance company
- Negotiate a fair settlement or take your case to trial to obtain the compensation you deserve, if necessary
- While there are many you can ask, here are 10 worth considering:
- Do you have experience handling similar cases?
- How long have you been practicing personal injury?
- How often do your cases go to trial?
- How much do you charge?
- Does your law firm have the resources and time to handle my case?
- How long will my case take to resolve?
- Do you have professional honors, awards, and recognitions?
- What is my case worth?
- Who is responsible for any case-related costs if my claim is unsuccessful?
- What are my chances of a successful outcome?
Negligence is defined as “the failure to exercise the care toward others which a reasonable or prudent person would do in the same or similar circumstances.” This means that if someone does something that a reasonable person would not do in the same circumstances, which results in injury to another person, then the first person may be liable for negligence.
There are several examples of case types a personal injury lawyer may take. Some examples motor vehicle accidents, such as car, motorcycle, truck, bicycle, scooter, and pedestrian. Others include medical malpractice, nursing home abuse and neglect, sports injuries, premise liability, and even wrongful death.
Pain and suffering is a non-economic damage that includes an accident victim’s physical and emotional suffering. Any physical pain, mental anguish, and trauma you’ve suffered from your injuries are compensable as pain and suffering. The award for pain and suffering is not based on your actual economic damages, such as medical bills or lost wages. Instead, it’s based on the severity of your injuries, how long you’ve suffered, and whether any permanent disability or disfigurement resulted from the accident. If your injuries have significantly impacted your quality of life, you will likely receive a more significant award for pain and suffering.
A trial is a formal legal proceeding in which a judge or jury hears evidence and decides whether the person being sued (the defendant) is liable for the damages claimed by the person who filed the lawsuit (the plaintiff). If the defendant is found responsible, the judge or jury will also determine how much money the plaintiff should receive.