If you are a car accident victim, it is important to contact a Fairfax car accident attorney as soon as possible. A qualified personal injury attorney can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., we have years of experience helping people just like you get the money they need to move on with their lives. We are committed to providing our clients with the highest level of service and will work tirelessly to get you the best possible outcome in your case.
Most Common Car Accident Injuries in Fairfax County VA
Some of the most common types of injuries that occur in motor vehicle accidents include:
When the neck is suddenly jerked backward and then forwards, this is considered whiplash. It is often a result of being hit from behind. Whiplash can cause severe pain and stiffness in the neck and may require treatment such as physical therapy.
Traumatic Brain Injuries
Traumatic Brain Injuries are caused when a significant force is exerted on the brain. It can be caused by your head being thrown back and forth by significant force, such as a rear-end collision. As a result of such force, your brain can strike the inside of your skull, causing a brain injury. To suffer a traumatic brain injury, you do not have to hit your head on something hard, such as the dashboard or the window.
Common symptoms of a traumatic brain injury, such as a concussion, include headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and cognitive problems, such as memory problems and difficulty concentrating and focusing. It can also cause changes in mood or behavior.
Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries can be very serious and can result in paralysis. They can occur when the spinal cord is compressed, stretched, or severed.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
If you were in a Fairfax car accident, there are several things you should do to protect yourself and your legal rights.
- Seek medical treatment for your injuries
- Call the police and request to file a report
- Contact your insurance company
- Contact the Fairfax car accident attorneys with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. to file a claim
- Gather evidence at the scene of the accident and keep track of all expenses related to your injury
How Long Does it Take to File Car Accident Claims in Fairfax, VA?
We can file your claim right away. How long it will take to get resolved will vary depending on the specifics of your case. Contact Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. today for more information on how we can help you get started on your claim.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Fairfax VA
The most common cause of auto accidents is a negligent driver. A negligent driver is someone who fails to exercise the care that a reasonable person would under the same circumstances. This can include failing to yield the right of way, running a red light, or driving while distracted. Other common causes of an auto accident include:
How Can a Car Accident Attorney Help?
If you have been injured in a car crash, a Fairfax car accident lawyer can help you file a claim for damages. They will also be able to advise you on what steps to take to ensure that your rights are protected.
How Does a Car Accident Lawsuit Work?
When you file a car accident case, the wrongdoer will be named as a “defendant.” This is the party that is allegedly responsible for your injuries. The defendant will then be given an opportunity to respond to your allegations. If they admit liability, and the parties can agree on a fair amount of compensation for your injuries, then parties will negotiate a settlement. If they deny responsibility, the case may go to trial. However, even if they deny responsibility, the parties may agree to a compromise, and the case can still be settled.
Statute of Limitations in Virginia
A statute of limitations is the amount of time that you have to file a claim. For example, in Virginia, the statute of limitations for car accident cases is usually two years. However, the time frame can vary depending on the specifics of your case.
Is Virginia an At-Fault State?
Virginia is an at-fault state, which means that the party that is responsible for the accident is liable for damages. This includes both economic and non-economic damages.
Contributory Negligence in Virginia
In Virginia, contributory negligence is a defense that can be used by the defendant to reduce or eliminate their liability. This means that if you are found to be partially at fault for the accident, you will not be able to recover any damages.
How To Prove Negligence in Fairfax Car Accidents
To prove negligence in motor vehicle accidents, you must show that the defendant failed to meet their duty of care. This can be done by showing that they were driving negligently, recklessly, distracted, or under the influence at the time of the accident.
You can prove this with:
- Witness Testimonies – Witnesses can provide testimony about what they saw leading up to and during the automobile accident.
- Police Reports – When the police arrive at the car accident scene, they will file a police report that documents the accident investigation findings.
- Photographs – Take as many pictures of the car accident you can. This helps establish what happened and who was responsible.
- Video footage – If there was video footage of the car accident, it can be used as evidence to support your case.
What If My Insurance Claim is Denied?
If the insurance company denies your car accident claim, you may need to file a lawsuit in order to get compensation for your injuries. Contact Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. today for more information on how we can help you get started on your case.
What if The Other Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance?
If the other driver doesn’t have insurance, you may still be able to file a claim, if you have uninsured motorist coverage on your automobile insurance policy.
Can I File a Car Accident Claim Without an Attorney?
You can file a car accident claim without an attorney, but it is not recommended. A car accident attorney can help you negotiate a settlement with the defendant’s insurance company and file a lawsuit if necessary.
Possible Damages Available For Car Accidents in Fairfax, VA
There are a number of damages that may be available in a car accident case, including:
- Economic damages are those that can be easily quantified and include medical expenses, lost wages, and property damage.
- Non-economic damages are those that cannot be easily quantified, such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, and disability or disfigurement.
- Punitive damages are those that are awarded in order to punish the defendant for their actions. They are not available in every case.
What is The Value of My Car Accident Case?
- The severity of your injuries
- The damages that you have sustained
- The amount of medical bills that you have incurred
- Lost wages and income
Contact the personal injury lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. today for more information on how we can help you get the financial compensation you deserve.
Our Dedicated Car Accident Lawyers Represent Injured Victims Throughout Fairfax County
When you have been injured in a car accident that was not your fault, it is important to contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible. A qualified attorney can help you get the money you need to cover your medical expenses and other losses.
The Fairfax, Virginia car accident lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to perform thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a motor vehicle accident, gathering the evidence needed to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
We Get Results
Here are some of the settlements our Fairfax County car accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have gotten for car accident victims.
- $6 million for a client who suffered a brain injury after being involved in a rear-end collision.
- $4.8 million for a severely injured client after another vehicle struck his motorcycle.
- $1.9 million for a client who suffered a permanent back injury due to a car accident.
- $1.5 million for a client who had to undergo multiple surgeries after a negligent motorist cut off his motorcycle.
- $1 million settlement obtained on behalf of our 19 year old client who was a passenger in a car in which the driver lost control causing a collision. As a result, our client suffered extensive brain damage with cognitive impairment. He was in a coma for an extended period of time. Although he has regained consciousness, he is unable to care for himself. The law firm asked the Court to appoint him a guardian to care for him. The law firm is helping to establish a special needs trust so that the proceeds from the settlement will be protected against any medical liens.
- $1 million settlement on behalf of client suffered a brain injury when the driver of the car in which he was a passenger lost control of his vehicle.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney Today
If you are looking for the highest level representation available for your personal injury case, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.