The symptoms of a whiplash injury can get better quickly or can last for a long time, and in some cases, they may never go away completely. Many people who suffer from whiplash report chronic pain and neck stiffness that can last for months or years.
If you suffer from whiplash after a car accident, contact Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. today for a free consultation. We understand that dealing with pain after a car accident can be difficult and overwhelming, and we are here to help you through this difficult time.
What is Whiplash?
Whiplash is a common neck injury caused by car accidents and other types of trauma. It occurs when the head is thrown forward and back by a sudden and violent jolt, causing the neck to stretch beyond its normal range of motion.
Whiplash Associated Disorders (WAD)
Whiplash Associated Disorders (WAD) is a term used to describe the range of symptoms that can occur due to whiplash. WAD can cause significant disability and affect your ability to work or participate in your normal activities.
Short-Term Symptoms of Whiplash
Some common symptoms of whiplash include:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Worsening of pain with neck movement
- Loss of range of motion in the neck
- Headaches, most often starting at the base of the skull
- Tenderness or pain in the shoulder, upper back, or arms
- Tingling or numbness in the arms, hands, or fingers
- Muscle spasms
If you have been in an auto accident and are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, you should seek medical treatment. Prompt diagnosis and treatment are important to prevent further injury and improve your prognosis.
Can Whiplash Symptoms Get Worse Over Time?
Some common signs of chronic whiplash include:
- Sleep problems
- Chronic headaches
If you experience any of these symptoms, it is important to see a doctor to get the treatment you need.
Treatment for Whiplash
Most people recover from whiplash without any problems. However, if you are still experiencing severe pain and stiffness after a few weeks, you may need to see a doctor or other healthcare provider. They can prescribe treatments such as:
- Pain medication – Your doctor may prescribe over-the-counter or prescription pain medication to help relieve your pain.
- Physical therapy – physical therapists help relieve pain, strengthen sore neck muscles, and improve range of motion through exercises and other treatments.
- Injections – Corticosteroid or lidocaine injections can be used to help relieve muscle pain or spasms.
- Surgery – Surgery is not an option for whiplash. However, your condition may be more serious, and you may be a surgical candidate for other neck injuries that were caused or aggravated by the whiplash. Surgery is usually only recommended if other treatments have not effectively relieved your symptoms.
- Neck Braces – Your doctor may ask you to wear a collar or neck brace to help support your neck as it heals. These are not intended for long-term use as they can cause your muscles to weaken.
Hire an Auto Accident Lawyer for Whiplash After a Car Accident
A car accident attorney can help you file a claim and negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf. If the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, the personal injury lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf.
How Long Does it Take to File Personal Injury Claims?
We can file your claim right away. However, how long it will take to get resolved will vary depending on the specifics of your case. Contact Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. today for more information on how we can help you get started on your claim.
What Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Can Do For You
The Washington, D.C. car accident lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a motor vehicle accident, gathering the evidence to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
Recovering Damages for Whiplash Injuries
Many factors go into determining the value of your case. These include medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our attorneys have experience evaluating cases just like yours to determine what they may be worth and will work hard to get you fair compensation for your injuries.
Here are a few of our case results:
- $6 million for a client who suffered a brain injury after being involved in a rear-end collision.
- $4.8 million for a severely injured client after another vehicle struck his motorcycle.
- $1.9 million for a client who suffered a permanent back injury due to a car accident.
- $1.5 million for a client who had to undergo multiple surgeries after a negligent motorist cut off his motorcycle.
- $1 million settlement obtained on behalf of our 19-year-old client who was a passenger in a car in which the driver lost control, causing a collision. As a result, our client suffered extensive brain damage with cognitive impairment. He was in a coma for an extended period of time. Although he has regained consciousness, he is unable to care for himself. The law firm asked the Court to appoint him a guardian to care for him. The law firm is helping to establish a special needs trust so that the proceeds from the settlement will be protected against any medical liens.
- $1 million settlement on behalf of a client that suffered a brain injury when the driver of the car in which he was a passenger lost control of his vehicle.
Contact an Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level representation available for your personal injury case, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.