Whiplash is a neck injury caused by the sudden movement of the head and neck. This can happen in a car accident, after a sports injury, physical abuse, or even from a fall. The injury can cause pain and stiffness in the neck.
Whiplash symptoms can occur immediately or can take hours or sometimes days to appear. In some cases, people may not realize they have whiplash until hours or days after the accident. This is often because the initial adrenaline rush from the accident can mask pain and other symptoms.
If you or a loved one are experiencing whiplash or another neck injury due to an auto accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. today for what steps to take next and whether or not you have the right to file a personal injury claim.
Common Symptoms of Whiplash
Some common symptoms of whiplash include:
- Pain in neck muscles and stiffness
- Loss of range of motion in the neck
- Headaches, most often starting at the base of the skull
- Tenderness or pain in the shoulder, upper back, or arms
- Tingling or numbness in the arms, hands, and fingers
- Worsening of pain with neck movement
Some victims also experience these signs of whiplash:
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Sleep disturbances
- Difficulty concentrating
- Memory problems
- Muscle spasms
If you have been in an auto accident and are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, you should seek medical treatment. Prompt diagnosis and treatment are important to prevent further injury and improve your prognosis.
How Long Does it Take to Experience Whiplash Symptoms After an Accident?
How Long Does it Take to Recover From Whiplash?
How long it takes to recover from whiplash depends on the severity of the injury. Some car accident victims may only have mild discomfort and be able to return to their normal activities within a week or two. Others may experience longer-term pain and stiffness, which can take several months or even years to resolve. In some rare cases, people may have long-term symptoms that persist for many years, and are permanent.
Long-Term Complications of a Whiplash Injury
Some people with whiplash may experience long-term symptoms that persist for many years. These symptoms can include
- Chronic neck pain
- Numbness or weakness in the hands
Neurological Disorders Caused by Whiplash
In some rare cases, people may experience long-term neurological symptoms from whiplash. These can include problems with balance, vision, and sensation. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention. Early diagnosis and treatment can help prevent or minimize long-term damage.
How is Whiplash Diagnosed?
Whiplash is often diagnosed based on a person’s symptoms and history. There are no specific tests for whiplash, but your doctor may order imaging tests such as x-rays or MRI to rule out other causes of your symptoms.
How is Whiplash Treated?
There is no one-size-fits-all treatment for neck injuries such as whiplash. Treatment will vary depending on the severity of your injury and your symptoms. Some common treatments include ice, heat, massage, and physical therapy. You may need to wear a neck brace or take medication for pain relief in some cases.
Can I Sue for a Delayed Whiplash Injury?
To determine whether you have a case, it is important to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer who can review the facts of your situation and advise you on your best course of action. If you decide to file a lawsuit, your attorney will help you gather evidence to support your claim and negotiate with the other driver’s insurance company for fair compensation.
What Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Can Do For You
The Washington, D.C. car accident lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a motor vehicle accident, gathering the evidence to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
Recovering Damages for Whiplash Injuries
Many factors go into determining the value of your case. These include medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our attorneys have experience evaluating cases just like yours to determine what they may be worth and will work hard to get you fair compensation for your injuries.
We Get You Results
Here are a few of our case results:
- $6 million for a client who suffered a brain injury after being involved in a rear-end collision.
- $4.8 million for a severely injured client after another vehicle struck his motorcycle.
- $1.9 million for a client who suffered a permanent back injury due to a car accident.
- $1.5 million for a client who had to undergo multiple surgeries after a negligent motorist cut off his motorcycle.
- $1 million settlement obtained on behalf of our 19-year-old client who was a passenger in a car in which the driver lost control, causing a collision. As a result, our client suffered extensive brain damage with cognitive impairment. He was in a coma for an extended period of time. Although he has regained consciousness, he is unable to care for himself. The law firm asked the Court to appoint him a guardian to care for him. The law firm is helping to establish a special needs trust so that the proceeds from the settlement will be protected against any medical liens.
- $1 million settlement on behalf of a client who suffered a brain injury when the driver of the car in which he was a passenger lost control of his vehicle.
Contact an Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level representation available for your personal injury case, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.