Most states require drivers to carry at least a minimum amount of liability insurance or personal injury protection coverage. Still, all drivers that are supposed to carry car insurance don’t. If you carry uninsured motorist (UM) coverage or uninsured motorists (UIM) coverage as part of your insurance policy, you can protect yourself against uninsured drivers. With UM/UIM coverage, you can file a claim with your own insurance company.
Carrying this insurance may increase your auto insurance premium. Still, it protects you against financial responsibility when you are ever involved in a car accident with an uninsured driver.
Contact a Washington, DC auto accident lawyer with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. today for a free case evaluation. We value the attorney-client relationship, and we will work to protect your rights and obtain the compensation you deserve.
Steps to Take After Being Hit by an Uninsured Driver
If an uninsured driver hits you, there are a few steps you should take:
File a Police Report
After being hit by an uninsured driver, the first step you should take is to file a police report. This will document the accident and can be used as evidence if you need to file a claim with your insurance company or take legal action.
Get Medical Treatment
If you are injured, it is important to get medical treatment right away. Even if you don’t think you are seriously injured, it is always good to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, such as whiplash, may not show symptoms immediately.
Document the Accident
In addition to filing a police report, you should also document the accident. This includes taking photos of the damage to your vehicle and any injuries you sustained. You should also get the contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
Contact Your Insurance Company
If you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, you may be able to file a claim with your own insurer. This is known as an uninsured/underinsured motorist claim.
Consult with a Car Accident Lawyer
After being hit by an uninsured driver, you should consult with an experienced auto accident lawyer. They can review your case and advise you on the best course of action. If you have been seriously injured, they can help you file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver.
How Does Uninsured Motorist Coverage Work?
There are two types of uninsured motorist coverage you can buy, including:
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury – This covers compensation for all injuries you suffer when a driver who doesn’t carry insurance hits you.
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage – This covers all damage to your car when a driver that hits you doesn’t carry insurance.
For example, if you are stopped at a red light in Washington, DC, and someone hits you from behind, causing personal injury and property damage, but they are uninsured. Your uninsured motorist coverage then comes into play.
Damages You Can Recover in an Uninsured Motorist Claim
Uninsured or underinsured coverage pays for:
- Disfigurement – If you have been left with scars or other visible changes after an accident, you may be able to recover compensation for your damages.
- Pain and Suffering – If you have been injured in an accident, you may be able to recover compensation for your pain and suffering. This type of damage is usually awarded in addition to other damages such as medical bills and lost wages.
- Lost Wages – If you have been injured in an accident and are unable to work, you may be able to recover compensation for your lost earnings.
- Medical Expenses – If you have been injured in an accident, you may be able to recover compensation for your medical bills. This includes both past and future medical expenses.
What If an Underinsured Driver Hit Me?
Underinsured motorist coverage comes in when the person at fault has less coverage than the amount of damage to you or your vehicle. If the other driver only has $25,000 of insurance, and you had $100,000 in underinsured motorist coverage, you can file a claim with your insurance company to make up for the difference between the other party’s insurance limits and your limits, up to the amount of your coverage limits.
What Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Can Do For You
The Washington, DC car accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a motor vehicle accident, gathering the evidence to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
How Much Is My Uninsured Motorist Claim Worth?
The best way to find out what your case might be worth is to speak with an attorney with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our accident lawyers have obtained settlements for various car accident cases.
Here are a few of our case results:
- $6 million for a client who suffered a brain injury after being involved in a rear-end collision.
- $4.8 million for a severely injured client after another vehicle struck his motorcycle.
- $1.9 million for a client who suffered a permanent back injury due to a car accident.
- $1.5 million for a client who had to undergo multiple surgeries after a negligent motorist cut off his motorcycle.
- $1 million settlement obtained on behalf of our 19-year-old client who was a passenger in a car in which the driver lost control, causing a collision. As a result, our client suffered extensive brain damage with cognitive impairment. He was in a coma for an extended period of time. Although he has regained consciousness, he is unable to care for himself. The law firm asked the Court to appoint him a guardian to care for him. The law firm is helping to establish a special needs trust so that the proceeds from the settlement will be protected against any medical liens.
- $1 million settlement on behalf of a client who suffered a brain injury when the driver of the car in which he was a passenger lost control of his vehicle.
Contact a Washington DC Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level of representation available for your personal injury case, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, DC Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, DC.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.