Being the victim of a car accident can be overwhelming. If you are considering hiring a car accident lawyer to help you with your personal injury claim, asking the right questions is essential in determining whether or not an attorney is right for you.
An initial consultation is designed to provide you with an opportunity to discuss the details of your case and help you learn more about a lawyer’s skills, experience, education, strategy, and resources. Make the most of this opportunity by discussing the questions outlined below. A good attorney’s answers should be direct and honest, increasing your confidence in them and your comfort level.
A consultation establishes an attorney-client relationship, which means that your discussions are confidential. That does not mean you have to hire a lawyer. But also remember that a consultation is generally based on limited facts, and the lawyer may need to perform a further investigation to give you a conclusive answer.
Questions About Background and Experience
Some of the most important and telling aspects of any lawyer include their level of experience, their reputation among their peers, and their history of success in pursuing cases similar to yours.
Here are some questions to ask a lawyer relating to background and experience:
- How long have you been practicing law regarding car accidents? – Many law firms have lawyers in various areas of law, including criminal law, family law, and real estate law. You want to make sure that the lawyer you plan to hire has specifically practiced law for car accident cases. If the lawyer you’re speaking to practices entertainment law, they won’t have the right experience for your case.
- Do you frequently handle cases similar to mine? Ensuring the lawyer you plan to hire has extensive experience in cases similar to yours guarantees their familiarity with your situation. It could indicate how successful they will be in obtaining a settlement for you.
- Do you have special experience representing car accident victims with spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, or other conditions that can cause lifelong medical problems?
- What bar associations and professional organizations do you belong to? While you can usually guarantee that your lawyer has been to law school and has a law degree, asking them about the associations and organizations they belong to gives you an additional idea of the extent of their experience.
- On average, how many car accident injury cases do you get every year? How many cases usually go to trial? Before you retain a lawyer’s services, you want to ensure that they have enough experience obtaining settlements and experience in court.
- What are your attorney fees? – Most lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means they won’t receive payment until they obtain a settlement for you. However, the percentage they will take of your settlement varies from firm to firm.
QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CASE
During your consultation, you should also take the time to thoroughly describe the details of your car accident and related injuries and then ask the attorney for their opinion of your particular case. Some relevant questions to bring up include:
- Do you think I have a case? A qualified attorney will be able to evaluate your case during your consultation and tell you whether your claim is valid or not.
- What damages can I potentially recover? – Before you hire legal services, you want to make sure filing a claim is worth the reward you may receive.
- What factors will work in our favor, and what could work against us? – The right lawyer for you will be able to assess your legal issue and prepare you for what might occur during the legal process.
- Is it likely that my case will go to trial? – This legal question may indicate how long your case will take.
These questions should give you a strong foundation from which you can decide whether or not you trust the car accident lawyer and want to hire them. You can also ask the attorney for references from previous clients, which a good lawyer will be happy to provide.
Why You Should Hire Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C.
The Washington, D.C. car accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success in helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a motor vehicle accident, gathering the evidence to establish negligence and other types of liability.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has obtained more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, the most respected attorney-ranking service organization in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
Request a Free Consultation Today
If you are looking for the highest level of representation available for your car accident case, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our law firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. We invite you to find out what makes us exceptional by scheduling a free case evaluation today. You can also read testimonials from clients we have helped throughout the years.