It’s that time of year again when Daylights Savings kicks in, and we “spring forward” and lose an hour of sleep. While losing this hour of sleep may not seem significant, research has shown that it can have serious consequences. The biannual event takes a toll on our bodies, leaving us tired, disturbing our sleep, and even increasing the chance of workplace injuries, strokes, and heart attacks.
According to new research from the University of Colorado, we also have to worry about the dangers of getting behind the wheel. A study in the journal Current Biology states fatal car accidents increase by 6 percent the week after DST kicks in.
The University’s researchers examined 732,835 car accidents recorded through the U.S. Fatality Analysis Reporting System from 1996 to 2017. In this time, researchers uncovered a consistent rise in fatal car accidents the first week after we “spring forward.” Most of these additional crashes occur in the morning and can be attributed to drivers losing an hour of sleep and adjusting to driving to work in darkness.
What You Can Do to Prevent a Car Accident
There are several ways to protect yourself after the DST transition:
- Get enough sleep. The CDC recommends at least eight hours of sleep per night.
- Avoid driving while drowsy. If you feel yourself getting drowsy while driving, pull over and take a nap or get some coffee.
- Keep your tires up to date. Check your tire pressure regularly and inflate them to the recommended level if necessary.
- Practice highway safety. Leave enough space between your vehicle and other cars to prevent collision after a panic stop.
- Watch out for road obstructions. This includes potholes and large puddles of water after a rainstorm.
The time change can be dangerous for many reasons. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, please contact Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. immediately for a free consultation. We are here to help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
What We Can Do For You After a Car Accident
The Washington, D.C. car accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a car accident, gathering the evidence needed to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
We Get You Results
For more than 50 years, the Washington DC lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have successfully represented individuals and families who have been injured or lost loved ones as the result of someone else’s negligence. Here is a small sample of some of our successful verdicts and settlements:
- $15 million for a woman who was permanently paralyzed from the neck down as a result of being struck by a stray bullet.
- $6 million on behalf of a man who suffered a brain injury as a result of a rear-end collision.
- $5 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a 14-year-old client who suffered a severe brain injury as a result of a doctor’s inappropriate use of a chemical product.
- $4.8 million on behalf of a severely injured man when his motorcycle struck a trailer being pulled by a minivan.
- $4.5 million for a woman who was seriously injured in a pedestrian accident after being struck from behind by a transit bus in a crosswalk.
See additional examples of our case victories and settlements on our “Case Results” page.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level representation available for your car accident claim, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.