Amtrak Train Accident Attorney
Call For a FREE Consultation
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has decades of experience representing victims and families who have been harmed in serious train accidents – including incidents involving Amtrak. Train accidents frequently result in serious and even fatal injuries. We are committed to helping passengers, motorists, families, and others who’ve suffered from these incidents as they repair their lives and fight for justice.
Learn more about train accidents and your rights.
Contact Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. for a FREE case review.
If you have been harmed in an incident involving an Amtrak train – or if you have lost a loved one in a fatal Amtrak crash – our award-winning personal injury attorneys are prepared to evaluate your case during a FREE consultation, explain your rights, and discuss how we can fight for the compensation you deserve.
Your Rights After a Train Accident
Victims injured as a result of others’ negligence have the right to pursue financial compensation for the damages they suffer. Train accidents have the potential to cause serious and widespread harm.
These damages can be extensive and may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost work wages and future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional injuries to loved ones who died (victims’ families)
Although cases are always unique, there are common factors that can cause train accidents, such as derailment, equipment malfunction, or operator error. When it can be shown that the cause of an accident could or should have been prevented, victims and families deserve the right to be compensated for damages they would not otherwise have suffered.
Extensive Train Accident Experience
Our attorneys have substantial experience handling train accident cases, and have represented victims from nearly every major train incident in the DC metro area over the past decade.
Below are examples of train accident cases we have handled:
- Our firm filed a wrongful death claim on behalf of the family of one of the victims who was killed in a June 22, 2009 crash involving two Red Line Metro trains. The incident occurred near the Fort Totten Metro station. This crash was the deadliest train accident in Washington Metro’s history. Partners Joseph Cammarata and Allan M. Siegel served on multi-party litigation steering committee in the aftermath of the accident, and were key contributors to advancing the case toward trial.
- CSCS secured a successful resolution for a victim who suffered serious injuries in a 2004 Metro train crash that occurred in the Woodley Park Metro station. The incident involved a high speed collision between two trains that resulted in the striking train removing the aluminum casing of the other train. The crash ultimately resulted in a federal recommendation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) to improve the crashworthiness of railcars. Despite these recommendations, the improvements were never made by Metro. The failure to make these improvements was a significant issue in the June 22, 2009 crash, as it was alleged by the Plaintiffs in that case, that many of the injuries and deaths could have been prevented had the recommended improvements been made.
- Our legal team represented an individual who suffered serious injuries in a 2002 incident involving an Amtrak derailment in Kensington, Maryland. We were successful in securing compensation for both our client’s physical and emotional injuries.
- We successfully resolved a case for a victim who was injured in 1996 when a MARC train in Silver Spring, Maryland derailed. It was later determined that the incident was caused by the negligence of the crew led to new railcar design rules and operating regulations.
May 12 th Philadelphia Amtrak Derailment and Crash
On May 12, 2015, Amtrak’s Northeast Regional Train 188 derailed and overturned in the Port Richmond neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania while headed to New York from Washington, D.C. The train was carrying more than 240 people at the time of the incident. Seven passengers were killed in the crash and over 200 were taken to local hospitals to be evaluated or treated.
Our personal injury and wrongful death lawyers have handled similar derailment cases, and have the knowledge and expertise to successfully litigate these cases, and obtain our clients’ the maximum compensation they are entitled to under the law.
The May 12, 2015 Amtrak derailment is still under investigation by federal officials. The derailment was Amtrak’s ninth this year, according to the Federal Railroad Administration.
You can learn more about this incident on our blog.
Given the serious nature of train accidents – and because corporations like Amtrak have massive legal teams and resources to defend themselves – working with experienced and proven lawyers can make the difference in your case. By filing a civil personal injury or wrongful death claim with the help of our legal team, you can place yourself in a position to secure justice and full compensation.
To discuss your case and learn more about your rights, contact our firm for a FREE consultation. We are available to help victims and families throughout the DC Metro area and beyond.