The Metrorail, operated by The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA), is the second busiest transit system in the United States. Servicing commuters from Maryland, Washington DC, and Virginia, the Metrorail is frequently criticized for its lack of safety measures. It is also one of the most dangerous. Metro officials must protect the safety of passengers.
If you have been involved in a Metro accident due to the negligence of WMATA or its agents, it is important to speak with an experienced Washington DC Metro accident lawyer who can help you navigate the complex legal process and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., our D.C. Metro accident lawyers have years of experience helping people who have been injured in accidents involving the Metro. We know what to do to get you the best possible outcome in your case. Contact us today for a free initial consultation.
What Are Common Causes Of Metro Accidents?
Although negligence is most frequently to blame, many different factors can contribute to a Metro accident. Even minor accidents on the subway may become complicated if Metro does not respond quickly and act in the best interests of public safety. Some of the most common causes of these accidents include:
- Negligent Train Operation – This can include speeding, sudden braking, or poor train maintenance.
- Faulty Equipment – Some Metro train cars have been in service since the 1970s. With age comes wear and tear, leading to accidents if the equipment is not maintained correctly.
- Human Error – This can include errors made by the train operator, maintenance workers, or other employees.
- Poorly Designed Stations – This can include slippery floors, obstructed walkways, or inadequate lighting.
- Inadequate Maintenance – This can include problems with the tracks, signals, or other equipment.
How Do I File A Lawsuit Against WMATA For A Metro Accident?
You might be able to file a lawsuit against WMATA if you were injured in a metro accident. However, because these claims involve a pseudo-government agency, they can be complex and are often an issue involving immunity.
It can be difficult to navigate these types of cases on your own, so it is important to have an experienced train accident lawyer. At our law firm, we have years of experience handling these cases. We know what it takes to prove negligence and get our clients the compensation they deserve.
What Are The Most Common Metro Accident Injuries?
The injuries you suffer in a metro accident can be serious and life-changing. Some of the most common injuries that we see include:
- Head injuries – Traumatic brain injuries, concussions, skull fractures
- Neck and back injuries – Whiplash, herniated discs, spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones – Fractured wrists, ankles, and ribs
- Burn injuries – Electrical burns, chemical burns, and third-degree burns
What Should You Do If You Have Been Injured?
If you have been injured in a metro accident, it is important to seek medical attention right away. Once a doctor has seen you, you should contact an experienced Washington DC Metro accident lawyer. We can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries at our law firm.
Do I Need an Attorney for My Metro Accident in Washington, DC?
Yes. The process of filing a lawsuit against WMATA can be complex. It is important to have an experienced lawyer on your side who can help you navigate the legal system and ensure your rights are protected.
How a Washington, DC Metro Accident Lawyer Can Help You
For more than 50 years, the Washington DC personal injury lawyers of Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have successfully represented individuals and families who have been injured or lost loved ones as the result of someone else’s negligence.
Below are a few examples of Metro accident cases we have handled:
- Our firm filed a wrongful death claim on behalf of the family of one of the victims killed in a June 22, 2009 crash involving two Red Line Metro trains. The incident occurred near the Fort Totten Metro station. This crash was the deadliest train accident in Washington Metro’s history. Partners Joseph Cammarata and Allan M. Siegel served on the multi-party litigation steering committee in the accident’s aftermath. They were key contributors to advancing the case toward trial.
- CSCS represented 8 individuals involved in the yellow line Metro incident when the train filled with smoke as it left the L’Enfant Plaza station. Partner Allan M. Siegel served on the multi-party steering committee and was an active participant in assisting in getting these cases resolved.
- CSCS secured a successful resolution for a victim who suffered serious injuries in a 2004 Metro train crash that occurred in the Woodley Park Metro station. The incident involved a high-speed collision between two trains that resulted in the striking train removing the aluminum casing of the other train. The crash ultimately resulted in a federal recommendation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) to improve the crashworthiness of railcars. Despite these recommendations, the improvements were never made by Metro. The failure to make these improvements was a significant issue in the June 22, 2009 crash, as the Plaintiffs alleged in that case that many of the injuries and deaths could have been prevented had the recommended improvements been made.
Financial Compensation from D.C. Metro Personal Injury Accidents
When you file a personal injury lawsuit against WMATA, you may be able to recover damages for your injuries. These damages can include:
- Medical bills – This can include the cost of hospitalization, surgery, rehabilitation, and any other medical treatment that you have received.
- Lost wages – If you have been unable to work because of your injuries, you may be able to recover your lost wages.
- Pain and suffering – This can include physical pain, emotional distress, and mental anguish.
Here is a small sample of some of our successful verdicts and settlements:
- $15 million for a woman who was permanently paralyzed from the neck down as a result of being struck by a stray bullet.
- $6 million on behalf of a man who suffered a brain injury as a result of a rear-end collision.
- $5 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a 14-year-old client who suffered a severe brain injury as a result of a doctor’s inappropriate use of a chemical product.
- $4.8 million on behalf of a severely injured man when his motorcycle struck a trailer being pulled by a minivan.
- $4.5 million for a woman who was seriously injured in a pedestrian accident after being struck from behind by a transit bus in a crosswalk.
See additional examples of our case victories and settlements on our “Case Results” page.
If you have been injured in a Washington DC metro accident, contact our law firm today for a free consultation.
Contact a DC Metro Accident Attorney
If you are looking for the highest level of representation available for your personal injury claim, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We value the attorney-client relationship and work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered. Still, our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.