The number of electric scooter companies has significantly increased in recent years. E-scooters have become a popular mode of transportation in cities across the globe due to their low cost and lack of emissions. However, these scooters can also be dangerous. According to a 2018 study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Departments of Health and Public Transportation of the City of Austin, from September 2018 through November 2018, 20 people were injured for every 100,000 e-scooter rides. Most of these accidents involved collisions with motor vehicles. However, there have also been reports of riders being injured after hitting a curb or inanimate object such as a light pole.
If you have been injured in a Spin scooter accident, you may be entitled to compensation. At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., we have years of experience representing clients who have been injured in Spin scooter accidents. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys! We know what it takes to win these cases and will fight hard on your behalf.
How Do Spin Electric Scooters Work?
Spin scooters use GPS to track their scooters’ location and lock them when they are not used. Riders unlock the scooters using the Spin app on their smartphone.
To start riding, riders must first check that the brakes are working correctly. Riders simply lean forward and apply pressure to the accelerator with their foot to speed up. To slow down or stop, they stand upright and use the handbrake. They then step on the scooter’s deck, which activates the motor.
Most Common Injuries Associated with Spin E-Scooter Accidents
The most common injuries associated with Spin e-scooter accidents include fractures, traumatic brain injuries, and lacerations.
- Fractures are one of the more serious injuries common in scooter accidents. They often require a lengthy recovery period.
- Traumatic brain injuries, including concussions, are also quite serious and can lead to long-term problems, especially if not properly treated.
- Lacerations can be painful, dangerous, and require medical attention.
If you have been injured in a Spin scooter accident, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately.
Common Causes of a Spin Electric Scooter Accident
Many different factors can contribute to a Spin electric scooter accident. One of the most common causes of these accidents is rider error. This is common for scooter riders who are not familiar with operating scooters or who do not follow the proper safety procedures.
Other common causes of Spin scooter accidents include defective parts, poorly maintained scooters, and roads or sidewalks in disrepair. In some cases, accidents are caused by other people’s negligence, such as drivers who fail to yield to riders.
What Should I Do If I’ve Been Injured in a Spin Scooter Accident?
If you have been injured in a Spin scooter accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. You should also contact a Spin scooter accident lawyer as soon as possible.
At our law firm, we can help you understand your legal rights and options. We will thoroughly investigate the accident and gather evidence to support your claim. We will then negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to reach a fair settlement. We will not hesitate to take your case to trial if we cannot settle.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
If you have been injured in a Spin scooter accident, you may face a long and difficult road to recovery. You may be out of work for an extended period of time and incur substantial medical bills. A lawyer can help you obtain the compensation you need to cover these costs.
A lawyer will also handle all the legal aspects of your case so that you can focus on your recovery.
Spin Scooter Safety Tips
- To prevent serious injury, wearing a helmet while you ride is important.
- You should also avoid riding in areas with heavy traffic or bad weather conditions. If you must ride in these conditions, be extra careful and go slowly.
- When you park your scooter, be mindful of pedestrians and others who may have difficulties with vision or mobility. Avoid blocking sidewalks, access ramps, doorways, and bus stops.
- Don’t ride distracted. Look ahead of you, not down at the wheels or your phone, and watch for turning cars, especially at driveways and intersections.
- Do not ride with passengers or packages.
- Do not ride while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Hire an E-Scooter Accident Attorney
The Washington, D.C. e-scooter accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success in helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to an e-scooter accident, gathering evidence to establish negligence and other types of liability.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has obtained more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
Types of Electric Scooter Injury Claims We Handle
The lawyers at our firm have experience handling all types of electric scooter injury claims, including those involving:
- Scooter operators involved in car accidents caused by negligent drivers
- Riders harmed by negligent pedestrians
- Accidents involving commercial trucks or buses
- Accidents caused by defective scooters
- Accidents resulting in brain injuries and other catastrophic injuries
We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll these accidents can take on victims and their families. We will fight tirelessly to help you obtain the compensation you need to move forward with your life.
Who is Responsible for Damages in a Scooter Accident?
The responsible party in a scooter accident will generally be the one who caused the accident. The manufacturer may be held liable if the accident was caused by a defective scooter. If poor road conditions caused the accident, the city or municipality responsible for maintaining the roads might be held liable.
What If I Am Partially At Fault for the Accident?
In Washington DC, when a vulnerable user of the roadway such as an electric scooter rider (or pedestrian or bicyclist) is partly at fault for an accident in which they were injured, they can still recover 100% of their damages if they were no more than 50% at fault for the collision. This is the law under D.C.’s Vulnerable User Recovery Act, which protects vulnerable road users who are in motor vehicle accidents.
For example, if a rider makes a left turn at an intersection without yielding the right of way to an oncoming car, the rider may be considered partially responsible for the accident. Under the Vulnerable User Recovery Act, the rider would still be able to recover compensation, as long as they are not more than 50% at fault.
Compensation For Spin Electric Scooter Accidents
If you have been injured in a Spin scooter accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. These may include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
A lawyer will help you determine the full extent of your damages and will fight to get you the maximum compensation you deserve.
We Get You the Compensation You Deserve
For more than 50 years, the Washington, D.C. lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have successfully represented individuals and families who have been injured or lost loved ones due to someone else’s negligence. Here is a small sample of some of our successful verdicts and settlements:
- $3.5 million for a man who suffered a brain injury when a District of Columbia police officer opened his door into traffic and “doored” him.
- $6 million on behalf of a man who suffered a brain injury due to a rear-end collision.
- $5 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a 14-year-old client who suffered a severe brain injury due to a doctor’s inappropriate chemical product use.
- $4.8 million on behalf of a severely injured man when his motorcycle struck a trailer being pulled by a minivan.
- $4.5 million for a woman who was seriously injured in a pedestrian accident after being struck from behind by a transit bus in a crosswalk.
- $600,000 verdict obtained against the United States Postal Service due to the negligence of one of its drivers, who pulled out from a stop sign in front of our client’s motorcycle.
See additional examples of our case victories and settlements on our “Case Results” page.
Contact a D.C. Spin Scooter Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level of representation available for your e-scooter accident claim, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.