Despite their convenience, scooters can pose a serious risk of injury. Because batteries power them, they can suddenly accelerate or decelerate, which can cause riders to lose control and crash. Additionally, scooters do not have any safety features, such as helmets or lights, further increasing the risk of injury.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a scooter accident, you may wonder about your legal options. Our experienced Washington DC personal injury lawyers can help. We have extensive experience handling personal injury claims, including those involving scooter accidents. We will work tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve for your scooter injuries.
What Are Jump Scooters (Uber Scooters)?
JUMP is a dockless electric scooter rental service owned by Uber. It is currently available in select cities across the United States, including Washington DC. JUMP scooters can be rented through the Uber app.
What Should I Do If I’ve Been Injured in a Jump Scooter Accident?
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Jump scooter accident, it is important to seek legal counsel as soon as possible. Our experienced Washington DC scooter accident lawyers can help. We will investigate the accident and gather evidence to build a strong case on your behalf. We will also negotiate with the insurance companies to get you the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of a Jump Electric Scooter Accident
Most scooter accidents happen when a rider or driver acts negligently. However, many factors can contribute to a Jump scooter accident. Some of the most common include:
- Negligent Drivers – Other drivers often are not paying attention to scooters on sidewalks and roadways.
- Speeding – Riders may be tempted to go too fast. This can lead to lost control and accidents.
- Distracted Riding- Because JUMP scooters can be rented through the Uber app, riders may be tempted to use their phone while riding. This can lead to distracted riding and accidents.
- Poorly Maintained Roads- Poorly maintained roads could be a major contributor to scooter accidents. Potholes, cracks, and other obstacles can cause riders to lose control and crash.
What Are the Most Common Injuries Associated with Jump E-Scooter Accidents?
There are a variety of injuries that can be associated with Jump scooter accidents. Some of the most common electric scooter accident injuries include:
- Cuts and bruises
- Broken bones
- Sprains and strains
- Head injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Types of Jump Scooter Crashes
There are many different types of scooter accidents. Some of the most common include:
- Single-Rider Crashes – Single-rider crashes occur when riders lose control of their scooter and crash into an object or the ground. These crashes can be caused by speeding, distracted riding, or poorly maintained roads.
- Multi-Rider Crashes – Multi-rider crashes occur when two or more scooters collide. These types of accidents can be caused by riders not paying attention, riding recklessly, or riding under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Pedestrian Crashes – Pedestrian crashes occur when a scooter rider collides with a pedestrian. These accidents can be caused by distracted riding, speeding, or riders not yielding to pedestrians.
Jump Scooter Safety Tips
If you are going to ride a JUMP scooter, there are some safety tips that you should follow:
- Wear a Helmet – All riders should wear a helmet when riding a JUMP scooter.
- Follow the Rules of the Road – Riders should obey all traffic laws, including stop signs and traffic lights.
- Avoid Distracted Riding – Riders should not use their phones while riding.
- Ride in the Bike Lane – Riders should stay in the bike lane when possible.
- Be Mindful of Pedestrians- Riders should yield to pedestrians and give them plenty of space.
- Inspect Your Scooter Before Riding – Riders should ensure that their scooter is in good working condition before riding.
- Be cautious when riding on wet or slippery surfaces.
- Contact Uber immediately if you have an issue with your scooter or its functionality.
- Do not ride down steep hills – High speed can overpower the electric brake causing loss of control.
Who is Responsible for My Injuries After an E-Scooter Accident in Washington DC?
The responsible party will depend on the circumstances of your accident. The city or county may be liable if poorly maintained roads caused the accident. If another rider caused the accident, that rider might be liable.
Can I Sue Uber After a Jump Scooter Accident?
Yes, if you were injured in a Jump scooter accident due to the malfunction of the scooter, you may be able to sue Uber for your injuries. Our experienced Washington DC scooter accident lawyers can help you determine if you have a personal injury case against Uber.
What Compensation Can I Recover After a Jump Scooter Accident?
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Jump scooter accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Some of the most common types of compensation include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Hire an E-Scooter Accident Attorney
The Washington, D.C. e-scooter accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success in helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to an e-scooter accident, gathering evidence to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
We Handle Various Scooter Accident Cases in Washington DC
At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C, our experienced Washington DC scooter accident lawyers have represented many people who have been injured in scooter accidents. We have successfully recovered compensation for our client’s injuries, including medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Some of the different types of electric scooter accidents that we have handled include:
- Scooter operators involved in car accidents caused by negligent drivers
- Riders harmed by negligent pedestrians
- Accidents involving commercial trucks or buses
- Accidents caused by defective scooters
- Accidents resulting in brain injuries and other catastrophic injuries
We Get You the Compensation You Deserve
For more than 50 years, the Washington DC lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have successfully represented individuals and families who have been injured or lost loved ones due to someone else’s negligence. Here is a small sample of some of our successful verdicts and settlements:
- $3.5 million for a man who suffered a brain injury when a District of Columbia police officer opened his door into traffic and “doored” him.
- $6 million on behalf of a man who suffered a brain injury due to a rear-end collision.
- $5 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a 14-year-old client who suffered a severe brain injury due to a doctor’s inappropriate chemical product use.
- $4.8 million on behalf of a severely injured man when his motorcycle struck a trailer being pulled by a minivan.
- $4.5 million for a woman who was seriously injured in a pedestrian accident after being struck from behind by a transit bus in a crosswalk.
- $600,000 verdict was obtained against the United States Postal Service due to the negligence of one of its drivers, who pulled out from a stop sign in front of our client’s motorcycle.
See additional examples of our case victories and settlements on our “Case Results” page.
Factors That May Impact Your Claim
There are a number of factors that may impact your ability to recover compensation after a Jump scooter accident. Some of these include:
Washington DC Vulnerable User Recovery Act of 2020
The Washington DC Vulnerable User Recovery Act of 2020 protects vulnerable users of transportation, such as pedestrians, bicyclists, and scooter riders. Under the law, vulnerable users involved in motor vehicle accidents may recover damages for their injuries if the vulnerable user was no more than 50% at fault for a collision.
Statute Of Limitations For A Jump Scooter Crash Lawsuit in Washington DC
It’s important to note that there is a statute of limitations for filing a claim for accidents involving electric scooters in Washington DC. The statute of limitations is generally three years from the date of the accident. You will likely be barred from recovery if you do not file a lawsuit within this time frame.
However, there are different deadlines for different causes of action, such as for wrongful death claims (which have a 2-year statute of limitations in Washington, DC).
In addition, many claims have certain notice requirements which are much shorter. You should contact an experienced accident lawyer to discuss the deadlines that apply to your case as soon as possible.
Contact a DC Jump Scooter Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level of representation available for your e-scooter accident claim, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.