Lime Scooters are electric scooters that can be rented through a smartphone app. Like other e-scooter companies, they are becoming increasingly popular in cities across the country as they provide an affordable and convenient way to get around. However, these scooters can also be dangerous. Injuries from Lime Scooter accidents have been rising, and many people do not know what to do if they are injured.
If you have been injured in a Lime Scooter accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, and it is important to speak with an experienced e-scooter injury lawyer as soon as possible. At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., we are dedicated to helping injured victims get their deserved compensation. We have years of experience handling Lime Scooter accidents, and we know how to get results for our clients. Contact us today for a free consultation!
How Do Lime Scooters Work?
Lime scooters are dockless, meaning they can be left anywhere at the end of a ride. A scooter rider must download the Lime app and create an account to start a ride. Once they have found a scooter nearby, they can unlock it using the app.
Dangers of Lime Scooters
A Consumer Reports investigation in 2019 found at least 1,500 e-scooter crash injuries across the U.S. in just over a year. E-scooters can present dangers for riders, pedestrians, bicyclists, and other people around them.
Parked Lime scooters can create a tripping hazard for pedestrians, and e-scooter riders lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle, leaving them vulnerable to serious injuries in crashes with a motor vehicle.
Common Injuries in Electric Scooter Accidents
Several different injuries can occur in Lime Scooter accidents. Some of the most common include:
- Traumatic brain injuries: Also known as TBIs, these injuries can range from concussions to more serious brain damage.
- Broken bones: E-scooters can reach high speeds, and riders can be thrown from the scooter or into oncoming traffic in a crash. As a result, broken bones are common injuries in e-scooter accidents.
- Soft tissue injuries: Soft tissue injuries, such as bruises and sprains, are also common in e-scooter accidents.
- Lacerations: Riders can suffer cuts from the scooter’s edges or from coming into contact with other objects in a crash.
What to Do After a Lime Scooter Accident
If you have been involved in a Lime scooter accident, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if you do not think you are seriously injured, it is always best to be checked out by a doctor.
You should also contact an experienced personal injury lawyer to help you understand your legal rights and options. The lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have years of experience handling Lime scooter accidents, and we are here to help. Contact us today for a free consultation. We will review your case and advise you on the best course of action. You owe us no fee unless we recover compensation for you.
Important E-Scooter Laws in D.C.
To operate an e-scooter in the District of Columbia, you must be 16 years old. The following are rules from the Shared Fleet Devices Amendment Act of 2020 to provide the safest experience for you and the pedestrians and drivers with whom you’ll share the road:
- E-scooter users may not ride on sidewalks in the Central Business District, which covers the U.S. Capitol grounds and the area from the National Mall to Massachusetts Avenue.
- Users may ride on sidewalks outside of the Central Business District, including bike lanes and roads with low-speed limits.
- Riders must opt for protected bike lanes if they are both available and safe for e-scooters.
- Riders must not operate an e-scooter with a passenger or any package that prevents users from keeping both hands on the handlebars.
- E-scooters are considered personal mobility devices, which means users are not required to carry insurance.
Lime Scooter Safety Tips
In addition to following the law, there are several things you can do to stay safe while riding a Lime scooter. Here are some safety tips:
- Avoid riding at night: It can be more difficult to see obstacles in the dark, so it is best to avoid riding at night.
- Be aware of your surroundings: Pay attention to what is happening around you, and be prepared to stop or swerve if necessary.
- Do a pre-ride safety check: Before riding, make sure the scooter is in good working condition. Check the brakes, tires, and handlebars to ensure everything works correctly.
- Always follow helmet laws: In the District of Columbia, riders under the age of 16 must wear a helmet. All riders are encouraged to wear a helmet, regardless of their age.
- Never ride under the influence: Riding under the influence of drugs or alcohol is never a good idea. It is illegal, but it can also lead to serious accidents.
Lime’s User Agreement and Its Effect on Electric Scooter Accident Lawsuits
If you have been involved in an accident while riding a Lime scooter, it is important to know that Lime has a user agreement that may affect your ability to recover compensation for your injuries.
Lime’s user agreement includes an arbitration clause, which requires riders to resolve any disputes with the company through arbitration instead of through the court system. If you have been injured in a Lime scooter accident due to a defective scooter, you may be required to pursue your claim through arbitration instead of filing a lawsuit.
The arbitration clause in Lime’s user agreement has come under fire, as many riders have alleged that they were not made aware of the clause when they signed up for the service. In some cases, riders have claimed that they were not given a chance to read the user agreement before using the scooters. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you determine whether you have a valid claim against Lime.
How Our Lawyers Can Help You
The Washington, D.C. accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success in helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries suffered in Bird and Lime scooter accidents. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to an e-scooter accident, gathering evidence to establish negligence and other types of liability.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has obtained more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
Compensation Available to Victims Who File E-Scooter Accident Lawsuits
If you have been injured in an accident while riding a Lime scooter, you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries. The amount of compensation you may be entitled to receive will depend on your case’s specific facts and circumstances.
Some of the types of compensation that may be available to victims of e-scooter accidents include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
We Get You the Compensation You Deserve
For more than 50 years, the Washington DC lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have successfully represented individuals and families who have been injured or lost loved ones due to someone else’s negligence. Here is a small sample of some of our successful verdicts and settlements:
- $3.5 million for a man who suffered a brain injury when a District of Columbia police officer opened his door into traffic and “doored” him.
- $6 million on behalf of a man who suffered a brain injury due to a rear-end collision.
- $5 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a 14-year-old client who suffered a severe brain injury due to a doctor’s inappropriate use of a chemical product.
- $4.8 million on behalf of a severely injured man when his motorcycle struck a trailer being pulled by a minivan.
- $4.5 million for a woman who was seriously injured in a pedestrian accident after being struck from behind by a transit bus in a crosswalk.
- $600,000 verdict obtained against the United States Postal Service due to the negligence of one of its drivers, who pulled out from a stop sign in front of our client’s motorcycle.
See additional examples of our case victories and settlements on our “Case Results” page.
Types of Lime E-Scooter Accidents
Many different types of e-scooter accidents can occur. Some of the most common types of e-scooter accidents include:
- Collisions with vehicles
- Collisions with pedestrians
- Accidents caused by defective scooters
- Accidents caused by poor road conditions
If you have been involved in any e-scooter accident, it is important to seek legal assistance as soon as possible.
Reach Out to an Experienced E-Scooter Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level of representation available for your accident claim, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.