Personal Injury Lawyer in Washington, DC
Serving Injured Victims & Families Across the DMV
If you have been injured in an accident and want to file a personal injury lawsuit, you may need help understanding your right to compensation. One of the most common questions after an accident is, “Do I have a case?”
In the event that you are injured in an accident, your main concern and only priority should be personal recovery. Unfortunately, the reality is many Americans live paycheck to paycheck and cannot afford the “luxury” of time off. Even with medical insurance, many people cannot afford to be injured. Many injuries may require long-term therapies even after you return to work. Missed wages due to time off of work to recover as well as mounting medical bills from aftercare can create a hardship that is difficult to recover from, both financially and emotionally. If your injuries or the injuries of a loved one were caused by someone else’s carelessness, neglect, or malicious intent, you may have a personal injury case.
The personal injury lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. take your injury claims seriously. Our Washington DC personal injury lawyers are experienced in personal injury law and can help you gather critical evidence against the other party to build a case for you and get your medical bills covered, and protect you from being taken advantage of by insurance companies who are itching for an easy and cheap settlement.
Every personal injury claim is unique and the best way to determine the strength and monetary value of any particular claim is to consult with an experienced injury attorney. A free evaluation with one of our award-winning personal injury lawyers will help you better understand:
- How to gather evidence to support your claim as a personal injury victim and seek compensation for medical bills and missed wages
- How to talk and negotiate with an insurance adjuster about your personal injury claim
- How to help you avoid mistakes that can ruin your case and explore other legal options
- When to bring in experts to prove the true magnitude of your injuries
Duty of Care
You may have heard the term “Duty of Care” before, but we’ll get into a little more detail for you here. Duty of care is a legal obligation to act in the best interests of others, and failing to do so or acting against this duty of care may result in an injured party. This is most easily explained with the example of doctors. Doctors have a legal obligation to follow a standard of care to protect and care for their patients, and if they fail to do so, they can harm those they have sworn to protect and may open themselves up to a medical malpractice case. Yet another example is when you get behind the wheel of a vehicle. You are expected to abide by and follow a standard of care by obeying traffic laws, not drinking and driving, and looking out for pedestrians as some examples for duty of care. If someone fails to follow this duty of care, they can be held responsible for any harm that may come to others as a result of their negligence.
How We Can Help
For more than 50 years, the Washington DC personal injury lawyers of Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have successfully represented individuals and families who have been injured or lost loved ones as the result of someone else’s negligence. Here is a small sample of some our successful verdicts and settlements:
- $15 million for a woman who was permanently paralyzed from the neck down as a result of being struck by a stray bullet.
- $6 million on behalf of a man who suffered a brain injury as a result of a rear-end collision.
- $5 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a 14-year-old client who suffered a severe brain injury as a result of a doctor’s inappropriate use of a chemical product.
- $4.8 million on behalf of a severely injured man when his motorcycle struck a trailer being pulled by a minivan.
- $4.5 million for a woman who was seriously injured in a pedestrian accident after being struck from behind by a transit bus in a crosswalk.
See additional examples of our case victories and settlements on our “Case Results” page.
We Are Here to Protect You.
We are here to support you every step of the way so you can put your mind at ease and prioritize your healing. Fighting injury battles on your own with an insurance company can be overwhelming and exhausting. We will personally advocate for you to achieve a fair settlement to ensure you are fully compensated for your injuries and the emotional distress that comes along with these situations. You have a right to representation by lawyers who are working with your best interests in mind.
Our personal injury lawyers have years of experience with negotiations with insurance companies, and big businesses for fair and proper compensation. We can help prevent you from accepting a premature settlement that is unfair. We will guide you through every step of the way so you are absolutely sure that you have a complete understanding of every step of the process so you know what to expect.
Personal Injury FAQs
What Is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer provides legal services to those who claim to have been injured because of another’s negligence or malicious intent (also known as personal injury victims). Unlike criminal lawyers, personal injury lawyers pursue civil action against negligent parties in order to have them held accountable for their actions or inactions.
Instead of focusing on jail time, personal injury lawyers seek financial compensation for personal injuries and losses suffered as a result of another person’s negligent conduct or malicious intent. When personal injury cases are successful, victims are entitled to financial compensation for economic damages, such as past and future medical expenses, and past and future lost wages. Personal injury lawyers will also seek to hold negligent parties responsible for non-economic damages such as pain and suffering, and mental anguish and can sometimes seek punitive damages, to punish the wrongdoer.
How Do I Know If I Have a Personal Injury Claim?
Determining whether you have a personal injury lawsuit depends on many different factors unique to your particular situation. Generally, a personal injury attorney will listen to what happened to you and let you know if you have a case based on three factors:
- The responsible party was careless, negligent, or had malicious intent
- The incident caused a personal injury
- The injury resulted in harm and compensatory damages
Once it is determined if you have a case, our lawyers will work on getting you a fair settlement, or going to trial, if necessary to get you justice.
When Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
You should consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after an accident, even if you are not sure if the severity of your injuries necessitates getting a lawyer involved. In the event that you do need a lawyer, the earlier our legal team becomes involved, the stronger your case will be for several reasons:
- Claims have deadlines for filing. In some situations such as a workers comp, you only have a few months or years to legally pursue a claim. It is important to find a personal injury lawyer that Washington DC residents have relied on to navigate these legal guidelines.
- Evidence to support your claim may not last. Proving fault and serious injury require evidence that may be only temporarily available. A personal injury attorney should begin investigating your case before video surveillance, witness statements, or dangerous property conditions no longer exist.
- You need fast relief from growing expenses. Property damage, medical expenses, and lost wages can put you and your family at risk. The financial toll from an injury can even make it difficult to recover physically. A Washington DC personal injury lawyer can help you get what you deserve, as quickly as possible.
How Long Will My Personal Injury Claim Take?
Many cases settle before litigation, but others must be prosecuted and tried in front of a jury. How long your case takes to resolve will depend on many factors that are unique to your situation. However, if a wrongdoer refuses to pay a fair amount of money for your injuries, you can rest assured that our personal injury attorneys will do what it takes to ensure you get a full and fair settlement.
How Do Personal Injury Settlements Work?
A personal injury settlement occurs when your lawyer and the defendant reach an agreement for how much money you should receive as compensation to cover economic damages, like past and future medical expenses, past and future lost wages, and non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering. A large majority of cases never go to trial as most defendants settle for a mutually agreed-upon amount.
Some cases settle before a lawsuit is filed. However, sometimes, before serious settlement negotiations can occur, a personal injury attorney must file a lawsuit and allow the defense attorney time to perform pretrial discovery (investigation) and research into the case. In many cases, negotiations may move back and forth until you choose to accept an offer from the defense. The following factors may impact your settlement amount:
- The severity of your injury
- The permanency of your injury
- The functional limitations caused by your injury
- Any scarring or deformity caused by your injury
- The type of accident
- Your current and projected medical expenses
- Your past and projected lost wages
- The amount of emotional pain and suffering caused by your injury
However, if the defense attorney is representing an insurance company, paying settlement claims reduces the company’s profit. Therefore, insurance companies may try to limit their liability for a personal injury claim through a quick settlement or medical release. An experienced injury attorney works to recover fair compensation for both current and future medical treatment, current and future lost wages, and compensation for pain and suffering.
What Are the Steps in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Accidents and injuries can result in a financial and emotional rollercoaster. Your health should remain your top priority when the unexpected happens. However, it is important to remember that what you say and do following a motorcycle crash, car accident, premises accident, or any other preventable incident can affect any personal injury lawsuit you choose to pursue. Here are the steps to take to protect your rights to take legal action:
- Step 1: Seek immediate medical attention if you have been injured in an accident or incident.
- Step 2: Collect important information such as police reports, vehicle and insurance information, and preserve evidence through photos and videos.
- Step 3: Find the best personal injury law firm near you to evaluate the viability of your claim and pursue compensation.
- Step 4: Be patient. If your injuries are serious, you must expect that time will be required for the case to progress from the initial investigation and settlement negotiations to possibly filing a personal injury lawsuit, discovery, mediation, and maybe even go to trial. Finding the best law firm and hiring a skilled personal injury lawyer will ensure that you obtain the full compensation that you deserve, and are not taken advantage of by the insurance company.
Common Types of Personal Injury Claims
No two personal injury cases are the same. The circumstances of the event, the people who were involved, and the laws in each state all contribute to a person’s ability to recover compensation. Hiring a lawyer to pursue financial compensation for your injuries is crucial if you have been injured in the following types of personal injury cases:
- Car Accidents. Motor vehicle accidents occur frequently in the congested streets of Washington DC, and the DC metro area and can cause catastrophic injury. The personal injury lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a long history of helping car accident victims in the DMV for over 50 years. We can help you recover compensation to cover medical bills or missed work following an auto accident, including those involving distracted driving and drunk driving.
- Brain Injuries. Our legal team has been selected as “Preferred Attorneys” for the DC Metro area by the Brain Injury Association of America. We have extensive experience working with clients who have suffered severe brain injuries, concussions, and sports injuries.
- Truck Accidents. Accidents involving commercial trucking companies and insurance corporations require a top personal injury lawyer. Our Washington DC personal injury law firm understands the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) violations that can lead to truck accidents, including those involving tanker trucks and semi-rollovers.
- Premises Liability. If you or someone you love has been harmed on another’s property due to the owner’s neglect, a DC personal injury attorney may be able to hold the landowner accountable for your damages. Common types of premises liability-related accidents include slip and fall accidents and drownings.
- Wrongful Death. Wrongful death occurs when the negligence and misconduct of another individual or party causes a death. Whether a loved one’s death resulted from medical malpractice, an auto, truck, or train accident, or a defective product, you may be entitled to compensation. Surviving family members can recover expenses such as medical and funeral bills, loss of care, companionship, and other financial damages through a wrongful death claim.
- Medical Malpractice. When a medical professional commits an act of negligence or fails to uphold their duty to provide reasonable care, then you may be eligible to recover damages. Preventable birth injuries, surgical errors, and anesthesia errors can cause permanent injuries that physically, emotionally, and financially devastate victims. We support our clients through their legal journey of medical malpractice cases and fight for the best possible resolutions from a terrible situation.
- Other Injuries. As we said, no two serious personal injury cases are the same. If you are an injured victim or someone you love has suffered other common examples of bodily injury such as nursing home abuse, birth injuries, or have suffered from damages caused by malicious intent, Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. are Washington DC personal injury lawyers who will fight tirelessly to protect your best interest and that of the injured party.
Call a Washington DC area Personal Injury Lawyer Today
At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Seigel, P.C., our personal injury attorneys have been long-time advocates for victims and families. We value you and pride ourselves in our attorney-client relationships. If you believe that you or someone you love have a case for a personal injury claim, don’t hesitate to call us today. We can assist you in obtaining full compensation for your injuries and are here to help 24/7. We fully support our clients through tough times and fight aggressively on their behalf.
Call a personal injury attorney that DC residents trust at (202) 788-0418 or contact us here to receive a free evaluation for your case for more information about pursuing a lawsuit.