Personal Injury Lawyer in Washington, DC
If you have been injured in an accident and want to file a personal injury lawsuit, you may need help understanding your right to compensation. One of the most common questions after an accident is, “Do I have a case?”
Because every claim is unique, the only way to determine its strength and how much it may be worth is to consult an experienced injury attorney. Personal injury lawyers possess the following skills to represent victims effectively:
- How to gather evidence to support your claim
- How to talk and negotiate with insurance adjusters
- How to help you avoid mistakes that can ruin your case
- When to bring in experts to prove the true magnitude of your injuries
For more than 45 years, the Washington DC personal injury lawyers of Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have successfully represented individuals and families who have been injured or lost loved ones as the result of someone’s carelessness.
Are you injured and searching for a personal injury firm? Call our top personal injury attorneys today at (202) 788-0418 or contact us here for a FREE consultation.
Looking for the Best Personal Injury Attorney in Washington, DC?
Our lawyers have won over $500 million for clients. Here are just some of the successful verdicts and personal injury settlements we have recovered:
- $15 million for a woman who was permanently paralyzed from the neck down as a result of being struck by a stray bullet.
- $6 million on behalf of a man who suffered a brain injury as a result of a rear-end collision.
- $5 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a 14-year-old client who suffered a severe brain injury as a result of a doctor’s inappropriate use of a chemical product.
- $4.8 million on behalf of a man who was severely injured when his motorcycle struck a trailer being pulled by a minivan.
- $4.5 million for a woman who was seriously injured in a pedestrian accident after being struck from behind by a transit bus in a crosswalk.
Personal Injury FAQs
What Is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer provides legal services to those who claim to have been injured because of another’s negligence. Unlike criminal lawyers, personal injury lawyers pursue civil action against negligent parties.
Instead of focusing on jailtime, personal injury lawyers seek financial compensation for injuries and losses suffered as a result of another person’s negligent conduct. When personal injury cases are successful, victims are entitled to financial compensation for economic damages, such as past and future medical expenses, and past and future lost wages. Personal injury lawyers will also seek to hold negligent parties responsible for non-economic damages such as pain and suffering, and mental anguish.
How Do I Know If I Have a Personal Injury Claim?
Determining whether you have a personal injury lawsuit depends on many different factors, which are unique to your situation. Generally, a personal injury attorney will listen to what happened to you and let you know if you have a case based on three factors:
- The responsible party was careless and negligent
- The negligence caused a personal injury
- The injury resulted in harm and compensatory damages.
When Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
You should consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after an accident, even if you are not sure if the severity if your injuries necessitate getting a lawyer involved. In the event that you do need a lawyer, the earlier our legal team becomes involved, the stronger your case will be for several reasons:
- Claims have deadlines for filing. In some situations, you only have a few months or years to legally pursue a claim. It is important to find a personal injury lawyer that Washington DC residents have relied on to navigate these legal guidelines.
- Evidence to support your claim may not last. Proving fault and serious injury require evidence that may be only temporarily available. A personal injury attorney should begin investigating your case before video surveillance, witness statements, or dangerous property conditions no longer exist.
- You need fast relief from growing expenses. Property damage, medical expenses, and lost wages can put you and your family at risk. The financial toll from an injury can even make it difficult to recover physically. A Washington DC personal injury lawyer can help you get what you deserve.
How Long Will My Personal Injury Claim Take?
Many cases settle before litigation, but others must be prosecuted and tried in front of a jury. How long your case takes to resolve will depend on many factors. However, if a wrongdoer refuses to pay a fair amount of money for your injuries, you can rest assured that our personal injury attorneys will do what it takes to ensure you get full and fair compensation.
Questions about your injury lawsuit? Call our top-rated personal injury lawyers today at (202) 788-0418 or contact us here for a FREE consultation.
Common Types of Personal Injury Claims
No two personal injury cases are the same. The circumstances of the event, the people who were involved, and the laws in each state contribute to a person’s ability to recover compensation. Hiring a lawyer to pursue financial compensation for your injuries is crucial if you have been injured in the following types of personal injury cases:
- Car Accidents. Automobile accidents occur frequently in the congested streets of Washington DC, and the DC metro area. The personal injury lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have been helping car accident victims in the DMV for over 45 years. We can help you recover compensation following an auto accident, including those involving distracted driving and drunk driving.
- Brain Injuries. Our legal team has been selected as “Preferred Attorneys” for the DC Metro area by the Brain Injury Association of America. We have extensive experience working with clients who have suffered severe brain injuries, concussions, and sports injuries.
- Truck Accidents. Accidents involving commercial trucking companies and insurance corporations require a top personal injury lawyer. Our Washington DC personal injury law firm understands the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) violations that can lead to truck accidents, including those involving tanker trucks and semi rollovers.
- Premises Liability. If you or someone you love has been harmed on another’s property due to the owner’s neglect, a DC personal injury attorney may be able to hold the landowner accountable for your damages. Common types of premises liability-related accidents include slip and fall accidents and drownings.
- Wrongful Death. Wrongful death occur when the negligence and misconduct of another individual or party causes a death. Whether a loved one’s death resulted from medical malpractice, an auto, truck or train accident or a defective product, you may be entitled to compensation. Surviving family members can recover expenses such as medical and funeral bills, loss of care, companionship, and other financial damages.
- Medical Malpractice. When a medical professional commits an act of negligence or fails to uphold their duty to provide reasonable care, then you may be eligible to recover damages. Preventable birth injuries, surgical errors, and anesthesia errors can cause permanent injuries that physically, emotionally, and financially devastate victims. We support our clients through their legal journey and fight for the best possible resolutions.
How Do Personal Injury Settlements Work?
A personal injury settlement occurs when your lawyer and the defendant reach an agreement for how much money you should receive as compensation to cover economic damages, like past and future medical expenses, and past and future lost wages, and non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering. A large majority of cases never go to trial as most defendants settle for an agreed-upon amount.
Some cases settle before a lawsuit is filed. However, sometimes, before serious settlement negotiations can occur, a personal injury attorney must file a lawsuit and allow the defense attorney time to perform all pretrial discovery (investigation) and research. In many cases, negotiations may move back and forth until you choose to accept an offer from the defense. The following factors may impact your settlement amount:
- The severity of your injury
- The permanency of your injury
- The functional limitations caused by your injury
- Any scarring or deformity cause by your injury
- The type of accident
- Your current and projected medical expenses
- Your past and projected lost wages
However, if the defense attorney is representing an insurance company, paying settlement claims reduces the company’s profit. Therefore, an insurance company may try to limit its liability for an injury claim through a quick settlement or medical release. An experienced injury attorney works to recover fair compensation for both current and future medical treatment, current and future lost wages, and compensation for pain and suffering.
What Are the Steps in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Accidents and injuries can result in a financial and emotional rollercoaster. Your health should remain your top priority when the unexpected happens. However, it is important to remember that what you say and do following a motorcycle crash, premises accident, or any other preventable incident can affect any personal injury lawsuit you choose to pursue. Here are the steps to take to protect your rights to take legal action:
- Step 1: Seek immediate medical attention if you have been injured in an accident, or incident.
- Step 2: Collect information such as police reports, vehicle and insurance information, and preserve evidence through photos and videos.
- Step 3: Find the best personal injury lawyer near you to evaluate the viability of your claim.
- Step 4: Be patient. If your injuries are serious, you must expect that time will be required for the case to progress from the initial investigation and settlement negotiations to possibly filing a personal injury lawsuit, discovery, mediation, and maybe even trial. Hiring a skilled personal injury lawyer will ensure that you obtain the full compensation that you deserve, and are not taken advantage of by the insurance company.
Call a Washington DC Personal Injury Lawyer Today
At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Seigel, P.C., our personal injury attorneys are long-time advocates for victims and families. We can assist you in obtaining full compensation for your injuries and are here to help 24/7. We fully support our clients through tough times and fight aggressively on their behalf.
For more information about pursuing a lawsuit, call a personal injury attorney that DC residents trust at (202) 788-0418 or contact us here to receive a free case consultation.