Washington, DC Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Compassionate Service, Experienced Representation
Pedestrian accidents can produce catastrophic injuries, especially when they involve a motor vehicle. The fact that pedestrians have no protection puts them at risk for suffering physical damage when they are struck by an automobile, truck, or other commercial vehicles.
At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., our team is able to draw from over 90 years of combined experience to guide injured pedestrians and their families through the personal injury claim process. Our experience and insight enable us to handle a variety of pedestrian injury claims, including those involving car and truck accidents and pedestrian accidents that do not involve a motor vehicle but involve other dangerous conditions. e.g., premises liability cases.
Contact a Washington, DC pedestrian accident lawyer today for a free consultation. We value the attorney-client relationship, and we will work to protect your rights and obtain the compensation you deserve.
Pedestrian Traffic Accidents
Thousands of pedestrians are injured and killed each year in traffic accidents. Due to the high foot traffic, the DC Metro area sees numerous pedestrian accidents, with many resulting in catastrophic injuries or wrongful death. Driver negligence and error are typically the cause.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Washington DC
- Distracted driving, including texting while driving
- Reckless driving, including unsafe speeds
- Drunk driving accidents
- Failure to obey traffic signs, signals, or laws
- Failures to yield to pedestrians at crosswalks, including right turns on red
- Poor visibility and roadway conditions
- Failure to use extra care in areas where pedestrians are known to be present, including school zones
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Washington DC
There are a number of common injuries that can result from pedestrian accidents, including:
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Lacerations and bruises
In some cases, pedestrian accident victims can suffer serious injuries that result in fatalities. If you have lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, our attorneys can help you pursue a wrongful death claim.
Non-Vehicular Pedestrian Accidents
Non-vehicular pedestrian accidents can have just as serious an impact as other pedestrian accidents. Most pedestrian accidents occur due to:
- Poor property maintenance
- Unsafe sidewalks and parking lots
- Dangerous construction areas, including falling objects
Depending on the circumstances involved, non-vehicular pedestrian accidents may be the fault of property owners, local government entities, or third parties such as construction companies.
Our Washington DC firm works tirelessly to establish who can be held at fault and whether the party failed to keep others safe from preventable harm. Construction companies, for example, have a responsibility to keep debris out of public walkways and to use warning signs to protect the safety of pedestrians.
Damages You Can Recover in Pedestrian Accident Claims
Our Washington, DC pedestrian accident attorneys make it our mission to hold at-fault drivers and insurance providers fully liable for compensating victims. Because insurance companies do everything they can to pay victims as little as possible, working with proven injury attorneys who have experience handling pedestrian accident cases can make all the difference in the outcome.
Our goal is to help victims and their loved ones recover compensation for:
- Medical bills and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and future earnings
- A victim’s pain and suffering
- Emotional injuries and mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment or quality of life
- Loss of companionship or consortium
Comparative Fault in Washington DC
In a comparative fault system, each driver is assigned a percentage of fault for the accident. For example, this means that if one driver is considered 80% at fault and another 20%, then each party will pay their proportional share of damages based on those percentages (e.g., $100,000 total in losses equals an award worth $80,000 from Driver A to B since they caused more harm than anyone else). If the case involves a head-on collision, Washington, DC does not use comparative fault. However, Washington, DC, does have a form of comparative negligence for bicycles and other vulnerable users.
What Our DC Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Can Do For You
The Washington, DC car accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a motor vehicle accident, gathering the evidence to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
How Much Is My Pedestrian Accident Claim Worth?
The best way to find out what your case might be worth is to speak with an attorney with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our accident lawyers have obtained settlements for various car accident cases.
Here are a few of our case results:
- $6 million for a client who suffered a brain injury after being involved in a rear-end collision.
- $4.8 million for a severely injured client after another vehicle struck his motorcycle.
- $1.9 million for a client who suffered a permanent back injury due to a car accident.
- $1.5 million for a client who had to undergo multiple surgeries after a negligent motorist cut off his motorcycle.
- $1 million settlement obtained on behalf of our 19-year-old client who was a passenger in a car in which the driver lost control, causing a collision. As a result, our client suffered extensive brain damage with cognitive impairment. He was in a coma for an extended period of time. Although he has regained consciousness, he is unable to care for himself. The law firm asked the Court to appoint him a guardian to care for him. The law firm is helping to establish a special needs trust so that the proceeds from the settlement will be protected against any medical liens.
- $1 million settlement on behalf of the client suffered a brain injury when the driver of the car in which he was a passenger lost control of his vehicle.
Contact a DC Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level representation available for your personal injury case, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, DC Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, DC.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.