Washington, DC Vehicle Defect Attorney
Were Your Injuries Caused or Made Worse by Vehicle Defects?
Every year, defective auto parts cause numerous severe accidents and turn many survivable wrecks into crashes that kill drivers and passengers.
While consumers can protect themselves by paying attention to auto recalls, these recalls often occur after defects, and faulty components have already caused accidents, injuries, and deaths.
At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., our personal injury attorneys draw from over a century of combined experience to fight on behalf of victims harmed in all types of car accidents, including those involving defective auto parts.
What is a Product Liability Claim?
A product liability claim is a civil action brought against a company for selling a defective product that caused injury or death. Under product liability laws, manufacturers, distributors, and dealers or retailers that make unsafe vehicles and parts available to the public can be held liable when those faulty products cause preventable harm.
Although product liability claims enable accident victims to secure the compensation they need, they demand the attention of seasoned attorneys who know how to hold negligent manufacturers and other parties accountable.
Defective Safety Devices: Seat Belts & Airbags
Some of the most tragic injuries and deaths are those caused by the very devices meant to protect us. When safety devices are poorly designed or manufactured, they can be more dangerous than if they were not used at all.
Potentially dangerous seat belt defects include:
- Retractor failure
- Unintentional unlatching
- Shoulder strap sitting too high
- Door-mounted shoulder straps causing ejection
- Malfunctioning automatic shoulder straps
Airbags can also cause serious injuries and wrongful death, as shown by the numerous casualties of the last several years caused by defective airbags made by Takata, a Japanese auto part manufacturer. Often, airbag injuries result from defects in the design and manufacturing phase, resulting in malfunction and failures.
Common airbag defects and failures include:
- Deployment when there is no accident
- Failure to deploy
- Deployment with too much force
If a defective airbag or seat belt has seriously injured you or someone you love, please contact our motor vehicle defect lawyers in Washington, D.C., to schedule a free case evaluation. Our team at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. represents defective product victims throughout the Washington, DC metro area and beyond.
Injuries & Fatalities Caused by Defective Car Seats
Sadly, defective car seat fatalities are caused by the devices we trust to provide an extra layer of protection for our children. Manufacturers are obligated to put safety first when creating their products; however, cutting corners, using cheap materials, or producing a subpar design can all lead to serious and preventable injuries.
When child seat manufacturers break the trust of their consumers, they can be held liable.
According to recent industry studies, around 80% of child car restraints on the market are produced without defects. Unfortunately, that means 20% of child seats purchased by unsuspecting families may be unsafe. Thousands of children are seriously injured or killed every year because defective child restraints fail to do their job.
Some common car seat flaws that can endanger your child include:
- Seats that separate from the base and/or buckle failure
- Confusing instruction manuals lead to improper installation
- Weak cushions or frames that come undone easily
- Faulty latches that come apart too easily
- Faulty strap adjusters that make the straps too tight or too loose
- Straps that tear too easily due to low-quality materials
Car accidents put every passenger at risk for an injury, but when a child restraint is defective, it can cause your child to suffer more severe injuries than they would have if the seat were functioning properly.
Although they seem minor, these manufacturing defects can result in a small child being thrown from their seat, trapped in place, or even injured by the restraints themselves.
If a defective child seat has turned your recent car accident into a medical emergency, our experienced attorneys in Washington, D.C. can help you hold the manufacturer accountable.
Fuel-Fed Fires & Explosions
Survivable accidents, including those which knock victims unconscious, can turn deadly when a fire or explosion is involved. Even during an accident, a properly designed and functioning fuel system contains the fuel.
Fuel system defects are the source of fires in auto accidents and can include:
- Design defects
- Faulty parts
- Improper installation
Other Common Vehicle & Auto Part Defects
There are many other types of vehicle defects, including:
- Defective tires
- Defective ATVs
- Faulty brake systems
- Faulty steering systems
- Door latch defects
- Commercial truck underride protection defects
- Poor roof crush resistance
- Commercial truck cab guard defects
- Faulty engine lights
- Spontaneous acceleration
Potentially Liable Parties for Auto Defects
Several parties may be held liable in an auto defect case, including:
- Vehicle Manufacturers – The vehicle manufacturer is responsible for ensuring their products are safe. If the vehicle manufacturer fails to do so, or there is a design, information, or manufacturing defect, they may face strict liability for the damages their products cause. If your vehicle or part of your vehicle is being recalled, the manufacturer is required by federal law to notify registered owners and purchasers.
- Car Dealerships – Dealerships face liability when a defective vehicle or part they sold causes injury or death on the road.
- Wholesalers and Shippers – Wholesalers and shippers, may be held liable for injuries caused by defective vehicles if they act negligently in storing or transporting automobiles and auto parts.
- Retailers – Auto parts retailers may be held liable for selling defective products if they knew or should have known that they were defective and dangerous. In some cases, a retailer may also be held responsible if it sells a product without providing adequate warnings about its dangers.
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident caused by a defective motor vehicle or part, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney. Our attorneys handle a wide range of auto defect cases, and we can help you hold the responsible party liable.
What Our Attorneys Can Do For You
The Washington, D.C. car accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success in helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a motor vehicle accident, gathering the evidence to establish negligence and other types of liability.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has obtained more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
How Much Can I Receive in a Product Liability Claim?
The best way to find out what your case might be worth is to speak with an attorney with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our accident lawyers have obtained settlements for various car accident cases.
Here are a few of our case results:
- $6 million for a client who suffered a brain injury after being involved in a rear-end collision.
- $4.8 million for a severely injured client after another vehicle struck his motorcycle.
- $1.9 million for a client who suffered a permanent back injury due to a car accident.
- $1.5 million for a client who had to undergo multiple surgeries after a negligent motorist cut off his motorcycle.
- $1 million settlement was obtained on behalf of our 19-year-old client who was a passenger in a car in which the driver lost control, causing a collision. As a result, our client suffered extensive brain damage with cognitive impairment. He was in a coma for an extended period of time. Although he has regained consciousness, he is unable to care for himself. The law firm asked the Court to appoint him a guardian to care for him. The law firm is helping to establish a special needs trust so that the proceeds from the settlement will be protected against any medical liens.
- $1 million settlement on behalf of a client who suffered a brain injury when the driver of the car in which he was a passenger lost control of his vehicle.
Request a FREE Consultation to Discuss Your Rights
If you are looking for the highest level of representation available for your personal injury case, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
If you believe injuries or the death of a loved one were caused by a defective vehicle or auto part, do not hesitate to contact the Washington, D.C. motor vehicle defects attorneys at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.