If you’ve been in a car accident, you know that the pain can be unbearable. Car accident victims can often suffer from many different injuries, such as a spinal injury, a neck injury, a back injury, or a head injury, to name a few. These injuries can cause a lot of discomforts and can be a real headache.
If you have been in a car accident and are experiencing pain, it is important to know what steps to take next and whether or not you have the right to file a personal injury claim.
What Should I Do If I Feel Pain After an Accident?
If you feel pain after a car accident, it is important that you do not delay seeking medical treatment. Getting immediate treatment can help to prevent your injuries from worsening and may even save your life.
It is also important that you seek legal representation from an experienced personal injury attorney who can protect your rights and advocate on behalf of your best interests.
We understand that dealing with pain after a car accident can be difficult and overwhelming. That is why we are here to help you through this difficult time. Contact Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. today for a free consultation.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Various types of injuries can occur after a car accident. The impact of the crash and severity of your injuries will depend on several factors, including:
- The speed at which you were driving
- Whether or not you were wearing a seatbelt
- The size, weight, and type of vehicle(s) involved in the collision
Seatbelts and airbags can protect you in a car accident. However, they do not always prevent injury. Regardless of your safety precautions, you may still be injured as a result of another driver’s negligent behavior on the road. Injuries that are common after a car accident include:
- Neck Injuries – These injuries can range from minor strains to serious fractures.
- Back Injuries – Similar to neck injuries, these can range from minor strains, to fractures or even herniated disks.
- Fractures – Fractures can include broken bones and dislocations. The impact can result in broken collarbones, ribs, arms, legs, and other injuries to the body.
- Soft Tissue Injuries – Soft tissue injuries are injuries to the muscles, ligaments, and tendons. These injuries can be extremely painful and may take a long time to heal.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Spinal cord injury symptoms can include back pain, neck pain, numbness or tingling in the extremities, and bowel or bladder control problems.
- Head Injuries – These can range from a concussion to a brain bleed, and can cause very serious symptoms, such as headaches, or cognitive problems.
If you are experiencing any type of back or neck pain, headaches, or other painful injuries after a car accident, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately. Even if your symptoms seem mild at first, they may indicate more serious injuries that need immediate treatment.
Delayed-Onset Injuries After a Car Accident
Car accidents can cause various injuries that may not present themselves until days or even weeks after the collision. These delayed-onset injuries can be very serious and should not be ignored. Here are some delayed injuries and symptoms to look out for:
Whiplash is a common injury caused by car accidents and other types of trauma. It occurs when the head is thrown forward and back by a sudden and violent jolt, causing the neck to stretch beyond its normal range of motion. Symptoms of whiplash can include neck pain, headaches, dizziness, and blurred vision.
Traumatic Brain Injuries
Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) are caused when a significant force is exerted on the brain. For example, it can be caused by your head being thrown back and forth by significant force, such as a rear-end collision. It is not necessary that you actually strike your head. A TBI can result in a variety of symptoms, including headaches, dizziness, memory loss, and more.
Concussions are a type of traumatic brain injury and you may not realize that you are having concussion symptoms until days after the accident. Concussions can cause a variety of symptoms, including headaches, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
PTSD may be difficult to recognize, but it can cause a wide range of symptoms, including flashbacks, nightmares, and difficulty sleeping.
Tingling or Numbness
Car accidents can cause a variety of nerve injuries. Symptoms of a nerve injury can include tingling or numbness in the extremities, pain, weakness, and difficulty walking.
Symptoms of a blood clot can include pain and swelling in the legs, shortness of breath, chest pain, and coughing up blood.
What If My Accident Caused Chronic Pain?
If you are experiencing chronic pain after a car accident, it is important to seek medical treatment. Chronic pain can be difficult to treat and may require a combination of therapies, including medication, physical therapy, and counseling, and you can recover compensation for these expenses.
Wait Before You Sign a Release of Liability for Settlement
If you feel pain or any other symptoms after a car accident, do not sign a release of liability for settlement until you have seen a doctor and spoken with an experienced car accident attorney. If you sign the release, you may be waiving your right to future compensation for any injuries that may have been caused by the accident.
Hire an Auto Accident Lawyer for Pain After a Car Accident
If you are experiencing any pain after a car accident, you should seek legal advice as soon as possible, as you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
A car accident attorney can help you file a claim and negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf. If the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, the personal injury lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf.
What Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Can Do For You
The Washington, D.C. car accident lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a motor vehicle accident, gathering the evidence to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
Determining the Value of Your Case
Many factors go into determining the value of your case. These include medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our attorneys have experience evaluating cases just like yours to determine what they may be worth and will work hard to get you fair compensation for your injuries.
Here are a few of our case results:
- $6 million for a client who suffered a brain injury after being involved in a rear-end collision.
- $4.8 million for a severely injured client after another vehicle struck his motorcycle.
- $1.9 million for a client who suffered a permanent back injury due to a car accident.
- $1.5 million for a client who had to undergo multiple surgeries after a negligent motorist cut off his motorcycle.
- $1 million settlement obtained on behalf of our 19-year-old client who was a passenger in a car in which the driver lost control, causing a collision. As a result, our client suffered extensive brain damage with cognitive impairment. He was in a coma for an extended period of time. Although he has regained consciousness, he is unable to care for himself. The law firm asked the Court to appoint him a guardian to care for him. The law firm is helping to establish a special needs trust so that the proceeds from the settlement will be protected against any medical liens.
- $1 million settlement on behalf of a client that suffered a brain injury when the driver of the car in which he was a passenger lost control of his vehicle.
Contact an Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level representation available for your personal injury case, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.