Riding a motorcycle is an exciting way to travel, but it also puts you at increased risk of being
injured if you are in an accident because you have less protection. Here are 8 tips to help you
have fun and stay safe.
1. Make sure you are properly licensed.
- In 2019, 30% of motorcycle fatalities were riders who were not properly licensed, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- The process in place to obtain your motorcycle license is there to educate you
and promote your safety.
- Take a refresher rider safety course every few years to keep your skills sharp.
Apex Motorcycle Safety Foundation offers courses in the DC Metro Area. Here is
a link to their class schedule.
2. Always wear proper protective gear.
- Use a DOT approved helmet.
- Wear boots that cover your ankles.
- Purchase and wear an abrasion resistant jacket.
- Always wear long pants.
3. Check the condition of your motorcycle before every ride.
- Inspect your tires.
- Check your turn signals and brake lights.
- Monitor fluids.
4. Properly instruct any passengers.
- Practice with your passenger first.
- Make sure your passenger is wearing the correct protective gear.
5. Be aware of road and weather conditions.
- Look out for potholes and debris.
- Painted areas on a road can be slippery.
- Watch out for icy or wet roads.
- Make sure you have good visibility.
- Be prepared.
6. Ride defensively. Do not expect other drivers to see you.
- Avoid blind spots when possible.
- Leave ample space between your bike and cars.
- Wear brightly colored safety gear.
- Use reflectors or reflective tape.
7. Obey all traffic laws.
- Use your signals.
- Follow the speed limit.
8. Ride sober.
- Do not put yourself and others at risk.
The Washington, DC personal injury lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have been handling motorcycle accident claims on behalf of injured clients for over 50 years, and have recovered millions of dollars. Very often, motorcyclists follow all the safety tips, set forth above, and they are still injured by careless drivers, who are not paying attention or otherwise driving negligently. If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident, the personal injury lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. are here to assist you.
Recent Motorcycle Injury Case Results
- $4.8 million settlement on behalf of a man who was severely injured when his motorcycle struck a trailer being pulled by a minivan. Our client suffered numerous serious injuries, including a left leg fracture, an injury to the artery and never in his left leg, a fracture and dislocation of his left shoulder, a compression fracture of his thoracic spine, a fracture of his right ankle, a ruptured ligament in this thumb, and a meniscus tear and cartilage damage to right his right knee. Our client required multiple surgeries and will need additional surgeries and medical care in the future. During the case, Partners Joseph Cammarata and Allan M. Siegel worked with an accident reconstruction expert to illustrate that the motorcyclist was clearly visible to the minivan driver as he pulled from a stop sign and that, as a result of his inattention, the minivan driver caused the crash. The case was settled at mediation for the maximum amount of insurance available.
- $600,000 verdict obtained against the United States Postal Service as a result of the negligence of one of its drivers, who pulled out from a stop side in front of our client’s motorcycle. Our client suffered multiple fractures and third degree burns to his left lower extremity.