Washington, DC Sexual Assault Victim Attorney
Civil Sexual Assault Lawsuits & Victims’ Rights
Sexual assault is a crime that has a profound impact on the lives and well-being of victims. While wrongdoers may be subject to criminal charges and penalties for their actions, criminal cases are not the only way to hold them accountable. Victims have a right to pursue civil legal action as a means to further their sense of justice, hold all parties responsible liable for their harm and suffering, and recover the compensation they deserve.
At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., our civil sexual assault lawyers represent victims of assault and abuse throughout Washington, DC, Maryland, Virginia, and other states across the country in their fight for justice. By making their voices heard in the civil justice system, we fight to hold all responsible parties accountable – including wrongdoers and any other parties who played a role in causing a victim’s preventable harm.
Why Choose CSCS?
- Extensive experience representing victims of sexual misconduct
- We have handled high profile sexual assault and abuse cases
- Caring, compassionate and client-focused representation
- Over $250 million in compensation recovered for clients
Discuss a potential case during a FREE and confidential consultation. Contact us to speak with a member of our team.
Why Civil Sexual Assault Lawsuits?
When it comes to sexual assault, wrongdoers may be charged in criminal court, where they will face serious penalties for their actions. However, some wrongdoers may not be convicted or charged at all – either due to difficulties prosecutors have in proving their guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, issues involving the statute of limitations, or for other reasons. This can create a strong sense of injustice. Even when charges are filed, criminal cases are not a viable means for making victims whole again through a recovery of their damages.
Whether criminal charges have been filed in connection to a sexual assault or not, civil lawsuits provide victims with legal pathways to justice and compensation not available in criminal cases. These include:
- Compensation – Civil lawsuits enable victims of sexual assault to recover financial compensation for their damages, including their pain and suffering, economic damages, and emotional injuries. Criminal cases, on the other hand, are not a viable source for compensation because they do not concern a wrongdoer’s financial responsibility or the damages suffered by victims, and instead focus only on whether or not an individual is guilty of committing a crime.
- At-fault parties – Although sexual assault may be committed by one individual, it may have occurred as a result of another party’s negligence. This may be the case when employees of a company or organization commit an assault, especially when there is evidence to show the organization failed to adequately screen the employee when hiring, or failed to properly address previous sexual misconduct issues during their employment. It can also occur when premises owners fail to take reasonable measures or provide adequate security to prevent assaults. By filing civil lawsuits, victims can hold all at-fault parties accountable for the role they played in causing or failing to prevent an assault.
- Lower burden of proof – Criminal cases use a higher burden of proof than what is used in the civil justice system. This is because criminal courts are structured in a way where it is more favorable to let a guilty person go free than to convict an innocent person. However, that means not all wrongdoers will be held accountable for committing unacceptable acts, especially when there is a lack of evidence. Should this be the case, victims can obtain the justice they deserve by holding wrongdoers accountable in civil court, where they must prove their claims by a preponderance of the evidence (meaning a defendant’s actions more likely than not caused them harm) rather than beyond a reasonable doubt.
Our Experience Fighting for Victims of Sexual Misconduct
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. is exclusively focused on harnessing the power of the civil justice system to protect the rights of the injured and the wronged – including victims of sexual assault and misconduct. Over the years, we have successfully advocated for victims of assault and abuse in a range of cases, including several high profile cases:
- Our firm is currently representing several women who allege they were sexually assaulted by Bill Cosby in a defamation lawsuit against the comedian.
- We filed one of the original class action lawsuits against Rabbi Bernard Freundel, a Georgetown synagogue, and several other defendants that failed to prevent the victimization of women who were secretly filmed by the Rabbi while they disrobed and used a religious bath.
- We have handled and successfully resolved cases involving sexual assaults on minors, vulnerable individuals, and students.
- Our attorneys have successfully handled cases involving sexual assaults resulting from negligent residential security and issues of premises liability.
Our experience in these cases enables our team to provide the compassionate support victims deserve during difficult times, as well as the insight-driven representation needed to hold at-fault parties accountable in a range of cases. Whatever your case may entail, you can be confident about bringing it to the attention of our caring and capable lawyers.
Call for a FREE and Confidential Consultation
If you would like more information about your rights as a victim, civil sexual assault lawsuits, and how our legal team at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. can help you through the legal process ahead, please contact us to request a free and confidential consultation. Our attorneys proudly serve clients throughout the DC Metro area and beyond from offices in DC, Maryland, and Virginia.