Motorcycle riding is a fun hobby that comes with many risks. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were over 5,000 people killed in motorcycle accidents in 2019, and motorcycle riders are 29 times more likely to die in traffic accidents than occupants of passenger vehicles. Taking certain precautions is the best way to prevent fatal motorcycle accidents from happening.
At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., our motorcycle accident lawyers know that not all accidents are 100% unavoidable. Contact us today for a free consultation if you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident.
How to Avoid Motorcycle Accidents in Washington DC
You can do a few things to avoid getting into a serious accident.
Take a Motorcycle Safety Course
Before you even hop on a motorcycle, it’s important to take a safety course. These courses will teach you the basics of riding and how to avoid accidents.
Wear the Proper Gear
When you’re out on the road, you must be sure you’re wearing the proper gear. This includes:
- Motorcycle helmet
- Reflective jacket
Be Aware of Your Surroundings
You need to be extra aware of your surroundings on a motorcycle because you’re more vulnerable than someone in a car. This means being aware of other vehicles, road conditions, potholes, railroad tracks, and other road hazards.
Follow the Rules of the Road
Just like when you’re driving a car, you need to follow the rules of the road when you’re on a motorcycle. This includes wearing a helmet, not speeding, and not riding under the influence.
Practice Hard Maneuvers
You should practice hard maneuvers like quick stops and evasive turns. This will help you be prepared if you ever need to use them in an emergency.
Check Your Bike Before Riding
Before heading out on the road, it’s important to check your bike to ensure everything is in working order. This includes things like tires, brakes, and lights.
Use Light Modulators
Using a light modulator can help make you more visible to other drivers. This is especially important at night or in low-light conditions.
Practice Emergency Brakes
You should practice using your emergency brakes in a safe environment. This will help you be prepared if you ever need to use them in an actual emergency.
Never Ride Under the Influence
This is one of the most important things to remember regarding motorcycle safety. Never get on a bike after drinking or taking drugs.
Be Cautious in Bad Weather
Bad weather can make riding a motorcycle more dangerous. If you must ride in bad weather, be extra cautious and take things slow.
Avoid Distracted Driving
Like when you’re driving a car, it’s important to avoid distractions on a motorcycle. This includes things like cell phones, music, and other passengers.
Never Ride With a Passenger Until You’re Ready
Carrying a passenger on your motorcycle can be dangerous. You should only do this when you’re confident in your abilities as a rider and you have the proper equipment.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Washington DC
Most motorcycle accidents are caused by other drivers, not the riders themselves. The most common motorcycle accident occurs when car drivers fail to see the motorcycle. Other common causes of motorcycle crashes include:
- Road conditions
- Weather conditions
- Mechanical problems with the motorcycle
- Drunk driving
Types of Motorcycle Accidents
There are a few different motorcycle accidents that riders should be aware of.
- Corner-Turning Accidents – A corner-turning motorcycle accident is when a car makes a turn and hits a motorcycle that is going straight. This type of accident is especially dangerous because the motorcyclist often doesn’t have time to react and avoid the collision.
- Left-Turn Accidents – A left-turn motorcycle accident is when a car turns left in front of a motorcycle. This type of accident is especially dangerous because it often leads to head-on collisions. Head-on collisions are some of the most serious accidents and can often be fatal.
- Lane Splitting Accidents – Lane splitting is when a motorcycle rider drives between two lanes of traffic, usually in stop-and-go traffic. This can be dangerous because it puts the motorcycle in a blind spot for other drivers. It can also be dangerous because the rider may not have time to react if the driver ahead of the bike stops suddenly.
- Lane Switching Accidents – Lane switching motorcycle accidents are when a motorcycle rider tries to change lanes and the other driver is already in that lane. This can be dangerous because the motorcycle can get hit from the side, which can cause the rider to be ejected from the bike.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
There are a few injuries that are common in motorcycle accidents. These include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Road rash
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
Wearing the proper gear can help reduce the severity of these injuries.
What To Do If You’re in a Motorcycle Accident in Washington DC
If you’re involved in a motorcycle accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it’s always best to get checked out by a doctor. After taking care of your health, contacting a qualified motorcycle accident lawyer is next. An experienced attorney will help you navigate the legal process and ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.
What A Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Do For You
The Washington, D.C. motorcycle accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success in helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a motorcycle accident, gathering evidence to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
Can I Recover Compensation After a Motorcycle Accident?
Yes, you may be able to recover compensation after a motorcycle accident. If you were injured in an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. This type of claim can help you recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
For more than 50 years, the Washington DC lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have successfully represented motorcycle riders and families who have been injured or lost loved ones due to someone else’s negligence. Here is a small sample of some of our successful verdicts and settlements:
- $3.5 million for a man who suffered a brain injury when a District of Columbia police officer opened his door into traffic and “doored” him.
- $6 million on behalf of a man who suffered a brain injury due to a rear-end collision.
- $5 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a 14-year-old client who suffered a severe brain injury due to a doctor’s inappropriate chemical product use.
- $4.8 million on behalf of a severely injured man when his motorcycle struck a trailer being pulled by a minivan.
- $4.5 million for a woman who was seriously injured in a pedestrian accident after being hit from behind by a transit bus in a crosswalk.
- $600,000 verdict was obtained against the United States Postal Service due to the negligence of one of its drivers, who pulled out from a stop sign in front of our client’s motorcycle.
See additional examples of our case victories and settlements on our “Case Results” page.
Need a Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
If you are looking for the highest level of representation available for your motorcycle accident claim, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.