If you were recently injured in a skip scooter accident, it is important to contact a scooter accident lawyer as soon as possible. A skilled attorney can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., we have years of experience helping victims of skip scooter accidents get the money they need to cover medical expenses, lost wages, and more. We understand how difficult this time can be, and we are here to help. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Skip Scooters is a leading provider of electric scooter rentals in the United States. The company has been operating since 2018 and is headquartered in San Francisco, California. Skip Scooters offers scooter rentals in major cities, including Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, CA, and Seattle, WA.
Like most electric scooter companies, you scan the QR code on the scooter you want to rent once you’ve downloaded the app. Skip scooters are dockless, meaning there is no designated area for riders to pick them up and drop them off. However, Skip does require riders to park near a bike rack or at the curbside next to a road. This helps prevent pedestrians from tripping over them, causing injuries.
The Dangers of E-Scooter Accidents
According to a 2018 study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Departments of Health and Public Transportation of the City of Austin, from September 2018 through November 2018, 20 people were injured for every 100,000 e-scooter rides. Most of these accidents involved collisions with motor vehicles. However, there have also been reports of riders being injured after hitting a curb or inanimate object such as a light pole.
Most accidents occur when the rider loses control of the scooter or collides with another object. This can happen for several reasons, including riding on a wet surface, riding too fast, or not paying attention to one’s surroundings.
Causes of Skip Electric Scooter Accidents
There are many potential causes of electric scooter accidents. In some cases, the accident is caused by a defective scooter. For example, if the brakes fail or the accelerator sticks, it can cause the rider to lose control of the scooter.
In other cases, the accident is caused by negligent behavior on the part of the rider. For example, if the rider is not paying attention to their surroundings or is riding recklessly, they may be more likely to lose control of the scooter and cause an accident.
Sometimes the accident is caused by a third party. For example, if a car hits a scooter rider, the driver of the vehicle may be liable for the accident.
Common Skip Scooter Accident Injuries
Many potential injuries can occur in an electric scooter accident. Some of the most common include bruises, cuts, scrapes, and broken bones. More serious injuries can occur in some cases, such as concussions, spinal cord injuries, and head injuries.
According to Austin researchers, head injuries account for a large percentage of injuries to e-scooter riders. In their study, nearly half of scooter-related injuries were head injuries, and 15 percent were traumatic brain injuries.
What Should I Do If I Have Been In an Electric Scooter Accident?
If you or someone you love has been injured in an electric scooter accident, it is important to seek medical attention. Once you have received treatment for your injuries, you should contact a lawyer to discuss your legal options.
An experienced attorney can help you investigate the cause of the accident and determine who may be liable for your injuries. If you have been in a Skip scooter accident, you may be able to file a claim against the company.
Who Is Liable For A Skip Scooter Accident?
The liable party in a Skip scooter accident will depend on the cause of the accident. If the accident was caused by a defective scooter, then Skip may be held liable. If the rider’s negligence caused the accident, then the rider may be held responsible. And if the accident was caused by a third party, such as a car driver, then that third party may be held liable.
Why You Should Hire a Lawyer After an Electric Scooter Accident
Hiring a lawyer will also give you the best chance of getting the compensation you deserve for your injuries. The insurance company may try to lowball your offer, but an experienced lawyer can help you get the full amount of compensation you are entitled to.
How We Can Help You
The Washington, D.C. accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success in helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to an e-scooter accident, gathering evidence to establish negligence and other types of liability.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has obtained more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
Damages You Can Recover in Your Claim
If you are successful in your accident claim, you may be able to recover a variety of damages. These can include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and emotional distress.
How Long Do I Have To File A Claim?
The statute of limitations for filing an accident claim is generally three years from the accident date. This means that you have three years from the date of the accident to file a claim. You may be barred from recovery if you do not file a claim within this time period.
There are different deadlines for different causes of action; for instance, wrongful death claims have a two-year statute of limitations in Washington, D.C. In addition, many claims have certain notice requirements which are much shorter. You should contact an experienced accident lawyer to discuss the deadlines that apply to your case as soon as possible.
We Get You the Compensation You Deserve
For more than 50 years, the Washington, D.C. lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have successfully represented individuals and families who have been injured or lost loved ones due to someone else’s negligence. Here is a small sample of some of our successful verdicts and settlements:
- $3.5 million for a man who suffered a brain injury when a District of Columbia police officer opened his door into traffic and “doored” him.
- $6 million on behalf of a man who suffered a brain injury due to a rear-end collision.
- $5 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a 14-year-old client who suffered a severe brain injury due to a doctor’s inappropriate chemical product use.
- $4.8 million on behalf of a severely injured man when his motorcycle struck a trailer being pulled by a minivan.
- $4.5 million for a woman who was seriously injured in a pedestrian accident after being struck from behind by a transit bus in a crosswalk.
- $600,000 verdict obtained against the United States Postal Service due to the negligence of one of its drivers, who pulled out from a stop sign in front of our client’s motorcycle.
See additional examples of our case victories and settlements on our “Case Results” page.
How to Avoid Skip E-Scooter Accidents
- Always Wear a Helmet – One of the best ways to avoid an injury in a scooter accident is to always wear a helmet. A helmet can protect your head and brain in a fall or collision. If you do not have a helmet, purchase one before riding an electric scooter. And always make sure that the helmet fits properly.
- Never Ride Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol – Another important safety tip is to never ride electric scooters while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Riding while impaired can increase your risk of being in an accident. If you have been drinking, take a cab or use a rideshare service instead of riding an electric scooter.
- Be Aware of Your Surroundings – Look out for obstacles in your path, yield to pedestrians, and always be cautious when riding near cars.
- Follow the Rules of the Road – When riding an electric scooter, be sure to follow the rules of the road. This includes obeying all traffic signals and signs. And always yield to pedestrians.
- Following these simple safety tips can help avoid an electric scooter accident. But accidents can still happen even if you take all the necessary precautions. Contact a lawyer to discuss your legal options if you have been injured in a Skip scooter accident.
Contact a D.C. E-Scooter Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level of representation available for your accident claim, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.