Washington DC is known for its congested streets and busy sidewalks. With so many people trying to get around. The city has been working hard to make it bike-friendly, with new bike lanes and trails popping up. But even in a bike-friendly city like Washington D.C., it can be difficult to know the rules for bicycles.
Contact a bicycle accident lawyer if you are injured in a bicycle accident and have questions about what traffic laws apply to your case. At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., we have years of experience helping cyclists get the compensation they need and deserve. We understand the complex laws that apply to bicycle accidents, and we are here to help you get the justice you deserve.
Overview of D.C. Traffic Law for Cyclists
According to the D.C. Municipal Regulations, Title 18, Section 1201.1, cyclists must obey the same traffic laws as motor vehicles unless the law has no practical application to a bicycle operator. Cyclists must:
- Stop at stop signs and obey traffic lights
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks
- Use hand signals when turning
- Ride in the same direction as traffic
- Yield the right of way to oncoming traffic when entering a lane of traffic
Other Bike Laws in Washington DC
In addition to the general rules of the road, there are a few other laws that cyclists in Washington D.C. need to be aware of.
- Riding Between Lanes – Cyclists can ride between lanes in Washington D.C., as long as they are not impeding traffic.
- Bike Lanes – A bicycle lane is designed to keep cyclists safe. However, bike riders are not required to use a bike lane when provided.
- Sidewalk Riding – Though not recommended, D.C. law states that cyclists can ride on the sidewalk as long as they are outside the central business district.
- Bike Registry – Bicycles are not required to be registered in the district, and you cannot be pulled over for having an unregistered bike. However, we suggest registering your bike with the National Bike Registry.
- Stay Visible to Crossing Traffic – A cyclist should maintain no less than 2 feet of clearance from the edge of the usable pavement in wide lanes.
Traffic Violations for Bicycles
If bicycle riders fail to follow traffic laws, such as failing to yield or running a red light, they are subject to paying fines.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident in Washington D.C.
If you are involved in a bicycle accident in Washington D.C., you should first stop and assess the situation. If anyone is injured, call 911 immediately. Once the police arrive, be sure to get a copy of the accident report. This will be important if you file a claim or lawsuit.
You should gather evidence at the accident scene if you are not injured. This includes taking pictures of the damage to the vehicle and your bike and photographing the area where the accident occurred. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident. https://www.chaikinandsherman.com/filing-a-personal-injury-claim/
What We Can Do For You After a Bicycle Accident
The Washington, D.C. bicycle accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success in helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a bicycle accident, gathering the evidence needed to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
Recovering Damages in a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit
Many factors go into determining the value of your bike accident claim. These include medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our attorneys have experience evaluating cases just like yours to determine what they may be worth and will work hard to get you fair compensation for your injuries.
We Get You Results
For more than 50 years, the Washington DC lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have successfully represented individuals and families who have been injured or lost loved ones due to someone else’s negligence. Here is a small sample of some of our successful verdicts and settlements:
- $3.5 million for a man who suffered a brain injury when a District of Columbia police officer opened his door into traffic and “doored” him.
- $6 million on behalf of a man who suffered a brain injury due to a rear-end collision.
- $5 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a 14-year-old client who suffered a severe brain injury due to a doctor’s inappropriate chemical product use.
- $4.8 million on behalf of a severely injured man when his motorcycle struck a trailer being pulled by a minivan.
- $4.5 million for a woman who was seriously injured in a pedestrian accident after being struck from behind by a transit bus in a crosswalk.
See additional examples of our case victories and settlements on our “Case Results” page.
Contact a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level of representation available for your bicycle accident claim, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.