Bicycling is a great way to get around Washington DC, and it’s becoming more and more popular every year. However, with the increase in popularity comes an increase in bike accidents. If you are injured in a bicycle accident, it’s important to know your rights and how to seek compensation for your injuries.
At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., we have years of experience helping cyclists get the compensation they need and deserve. We understand the complex laws that apply to bicycle accidents, and we are here to help you get the justice you deserve.
Causes of Bicycle Injuries
There are many different ways that a bicycle accident can occur. However, some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Distracted drivers – Drivers who are texting, talking on the phone, or otherwise distracted can easily hit a cyclist.
- Drunk drivers – When drivers are impaired by alcohol or drugs, they can’t safely operate a vehicle and are more likely to hit a cyclist.
- Defective bike components – Bike manufacturers sometimes make defective products that can cause accidents.
- Road hazards – Potholes, debris, and other road hazards can cause cyclists to lose control and be injured.
Accidents can also be caused by cyclists themselves. For example, a cyclist who is not paying attention to traffic or who is riding recklessly may cause an accident.
Are Bicycle Accidents Dangerous?
Bicycle accidents can be very serious, and even fatal. These accidents can cause severe injuries for various reasons. Cyclists are more vulnerable to being hit by a car because they are less visible. Even if a cyclist is wearing a helmet, they can still sustain serious head injuries in an accident. Third, because bicycles don’t have seat belts or airbags, cyclists can be ejected from their bikes and sustain serious injuries as a result.
Common Injuries After a Bicycle Accident
There are many different types of injuries bicycle accident victims can suffer from. However, some of the most common injuries include:
There are many ways that a bicycle accident can cause internal injuries. For example, a cyclist who is hit by a car can suffer from broken ribs, a punctured lung, or internal bleeding. A fall from a bike can also cause internal injuries.
Traumatic Brain Injury
Bicycle accidents often result in head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries. Traumatic Brain Injuries are caused when there is a significant force exerted on the brain. As a result of such force, your brain can strike the inside of your skull, causing a brain injury. Common symptoms of a traumatic brain injury, such as a concussion include headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and cognitive problems, such as memory problems, and difficulty concentrating and focusing. It can also cause changes in mood or behavior.
Neck injuries are also common in bicycle accidents. Whiplash is a common neck injury that occurs when the head is suddenly jerked forward or backward. Neck injuries can be very painful and may require extensive medical treatment.
Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury can result in paralysis or other serious impairments. Spinal cord injuries often require lifelong medical care and may prevent a person from ever being able to return to work.
Soft Tissue Injuries
If you are injured in a bicycle accident, you may suffer from soft tissue injuries. Soft tissue injuries include injuries to the muscles, ligaments, and tendons. These types of injuries can be very painful and can take weeks or even months to heal.
A fall from a bicycle in a bike accident can cause a hard impact on the road, leading to broken bones in several places on the body. Broken bones can cause difficulties with mobility, work duties, and daily tasks. They can also cause a great deal of pain and require prolonged medical care.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident?
After a bike accident, injured bicyclists should:
- Get medical help – If you are injured, it’s important to get medical help right away. Even if your injuries seem minor, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and seek medical attention.
- File a police report – You should always file a police report after an accident. This will create a record of the accident and may be helpful if you decide to file a personal injury claim.
- Gather evidence – If possible, you should try to gather evidence at the scene of the accident. This may include taking photos of the scene or getting the contact information of witnesses.
- Contact an experienced attorney – An experienced bicycle accident attorney can help you understand your rights and options and can help you get the compensation you deserve.
File a Personal Injury Claim for Injuries After a Bike Accident
If you are a bicycle accident victim, you may be able to file a personal injury claim to recover damages. These damages may include medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Filing a personal injury claim can be complex, so it’s important to have an experienced attorney on your side. At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., our team of experienced personal injury lawyers can help you every step of the way. Contact us today for a free consultation.
What We Can Do For You
The Washington, D.C. bicycle accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others. Our firm has consistently demonstrated we have the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources needed to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a bicycle accident, gathering the evidence needed to establish liability and negligence.
Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. has achieved more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have more than a century of combined legal experience. Two of our partners are certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Our firm has also earned the highest AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most respected attorney-ranking service organizations in the United States. Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. attorneys work passionately on behalf of our clients to help them secure fair compensation – there is no type of case that is too complex for us to litigate.
Recovering Damages in a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit
Many factors go into determining the value of your bike accident claim. These include medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our attorneys have experience evaluating cases just like yours to determine what they may be worth and will work hard to get you fair compensation for your injuries.
We Get You Results
For more than 50 years, the Washington DC lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have successfully represented individuals and families who have been injured or lost loved ones as the result of someone else’s negligence. Here is a small sample of some of our successful verdicts and settlements:
- $3.5 million for a man who suffered a brain injury when a District of Columbia police officer opened his door into traffic and “doored” him.
- $6 million on behalf of a man who suffered a brain injury as a result of a rear-end collision.
- $5 million medical malpractice settlement on behalf of a 14-year-old client who suffered a severe brain injury as a result of a doctor’s inappropriate use of a chemical product.
- $4.8 million on behalf of a severely injured man when his motorcycle struck a trailer being pulled by a minivan.
- $4.5 million for a woman who was seriously injured in a pedestrian accident after being struck from behind by a transit bus in a crosswalk.
See additional examples of our case victories and settlements on our “Case Results” page.
Contact a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
If you are looking for the highest level representation available for your bicycle accident claim, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.