Arlington, VA, is a beautiful place to live. The city is clean, the people are friendly, and plenty of things to do year-round. But when you live in a city like Arlington, it’s also important to remember that there are risks involved with everyday life. This includes slipping on a wet floor or tripping over an uneven sidewalk.
Slip and fall accidents are one of Virginia’s most common personal injury cases. These accidents can happen anywhere, including your home, store, shopping mall, or work. If someone else’s negligence caused you to slip and fall in any way that resulted in injuries, it is important to contact an experienced attorney immediately.
At Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., we can help you determine if you have a case. We will work diligently to ensure that you receive the compensation rightfully owed to you from the person or company responsible for your injuries. Contact us today for a free consultation.
How Common Are Slip and Fall Accidents?
We’ve all taken a tumble once or twice, but did you know that slip and fall accidents are among the most common types of personal injury cases? They account for nearly 25 percent of all claims filed every year. According to the National Floor Safety Institute:
- Slip and falls account for over 1 million emergency room visits or 12% of total falls
- Fractures are the most serious consequences of falls and occur in 5% of all people who fall.
- Slips and falls do not constitute a primary cause of fatal occupational injuries but represent the primary cause of lost days from work.
- Slips and falls are the leading cause of workers’ compensation claims and are the leading cause of occupational injury for people aged 55 years and older.
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), floors and flooring materials contribute directly to more than 2 million fall injuries annually.
- Of all fractures, hip fractures are the most serious and lead to the highest health problems and deaths.
Common Causes and Injuries of Slip and Fall Accidents in Arlington, VA
Slip and fall accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Wet floors.
- Dirt, debris, food particles, and grease build-up.
- Damaged floor surfaces (cracks, holes).
- Loose carpet or tile and other flooring materials.
- Improper lighting.
- Unsafe stairwells and walkways.
- Pooling water from leaks in the building’s plumbing system.
- Slippery floors from spilled liquids
Although slip and falls seem like minor accidents, they can cause serious injuries and even death. Some of the injuries associated with a slip and fall accident include:
- Broken bones.
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord damage; and, in some cases, paralysis.
What Should I Do After an Arlington Slip and Fall Accident?
If you have been injured in a slip and fall, the first thing to do is get medical attention. As soon as possible after the accident, contact your health insurance provider to file a claim.
You should also take photographs of the area where you slipped and fell to prove fault if necessary. If you cannot go back to work or perform daily tasks because of injuries sustained during the fall, ensure that your employer knows about this as soon as possible.
You should also contact a law firm to help you determine whether you have a case against the property owner or municipality responsible for the accident. Slip and fall accidents can be complex cases that require extensive investigation, so it’s important to work with an attorney who is experienced in personal injury law.
Hire an Arlington, VA, Slip-and-Fall Lawyer at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C.
The Arlington, VA, slip and fall accident lawyers with Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. have a proven track record of success in helping clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for injuries they have suffered due to the negligence of others.
Our firm has consistently demonstrated the expertise needed to help our clients see that justice is served. We have the resources to conduct thorough investigations of all the circumstances contributing to a slip and fall accident, gathering the evidence to establish negligence and other types of liability. Contact an Arlington personal injury lawyer today to get started on your case.
Who Can I Hold Responsible for a Slip and Fall Accident in Arlington, VA?
If you slip and fall on a wet floor, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the property owner or landlord. Property owners have a responsibility to exercise a reasonable amount of care in maintaining a safe property. This includes:
- Regular inspection of the property
- Notifying people of dangers
- Remedying dangers in a safe and timely fashion
When property owners fail to use reasonable care on their property, and someone is injured, they can be held liable. Depending on the circumstances surrounding your fall, you may also have grounds for legal action against other parties who may have played a role in causing or contributing to the incident. Other parties may include:
- A building owner or landlord
- A management company at the property
- An architect or designer of the property
- A cleaning company
- A snow removal company
- An engineer who inspected or maintained the property
- A party that was responsible for making repairs to a dangerous condition
Proving Negligence in an Arlington, VA Slip, and Fall Case
If you’ve been injured in a slip-and-fall accident, it’s important to understand what you can do to hold the responsible parties accountable. The best way to do this is by filing a claim against those who may be at fault for your injuries.
To prove negligence, you must show that:
- The defendant owed a duty of care to others on their property
- They breached that duty by failing to use reasonable care in maintaining the property or warning others of dangers on the property
- The breach of duty caused your injuries
For example, if you were shopping in downtown Arlington and fell because of a pothole in a parking lot sidewalk, the owner of the parking lotmay be liable for your injuries. You would likely be able to prove that:
- The owner owed pedestrians a duty of care in maintaining its parking lot.. They breached that duty by failing to maintain the parking lot or notifying pedestrians of the dangers
- This breach of duty caused your fall and resulting injuries
If you’re able to prove these elements, then you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries. The slip-and-fall attorneys at our firm can help you hold the responsible parties accountable.
How Much is My Claim Worth?
If you’ve been injured in a slip-and-fall accident, it’s important to understand how much your claim is worth. Here are some factors that will affect the value of your claim:
- The severity of your injuries
- The type of property that caused the accident
- The amount of time it takes for your injuries to heal
- Whether the Defendant is alleging that you were partially responsible
- How much money is lost due to missed work or other expenses
In general, if you can prove that a party was at fault for causing your injuries, they will be responsible for paying damages and any medical bills or lost wages resulting from your accident.
Contact a Slip and Fall Attorney Today for a Free Consultation
If you are looking for the highest level of representation available for your slip and fall case, turn to Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. Our firm has helped clients recover more than $500 million in compensation, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience. All of our partners are recognized by Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®, and our firm includes three past presidents of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
We work to help our clients obtain fair settlement offers to compensate them for the injuries they’ve suffered, but our attorneys are extremely well-equipped to go to trial if needed. Call (202) 659-8600 or contact us online to get the proven legal representation you deserve.