Call For A Consultation (202) 644-8303
Our Blogs

Woman Suffers TBI While Entering a Restaurant Obtains Settlement

On November 10, 2005 at approximately 2:30 p.m., our client was entering the California Grill restaurant in Washington, D.C. when her foot got caught on a portion of the floor which was not level with the door threshold, causing her to fall. Her knees struck the floor and her body fell forward causing her head to strike a glass wall which was in the vestibule directly in front of her.

The door and its threshold had just been replaced and the new door threshold was not flush with the tile floor, causing a trip hazard. The owner of the restaurant placed a wet floor sign near the door to allegedly warn customers of this hazard. However, he failed to take the most simple and logical precaution of posting a sign on the door warning customers to "watch their step."

Our client suffered extensive injuries and damages, including a closed head injury , (also referred to as a traumatic brain injury or concussion) with cognitive impairments, post-traumatic headaches, a left rotator cuff tear, cervical radiculopathy, cervical strain, lumbar strain and bilateral knee contusions. As a result of the closed head injury our client's doctors diagnosed her with a condition called Dysautonomia. Dysautonomia is a malfunction of the autonomic nervous system which can cause lightheadedness, dizziness, headaches, and syncope episodes (fainting). Following the incident, our client had multiple fainting spells, which required extensive hospitalizations. The Defendants disputed that the fainting spells were caused by the incident.

Partner Allan M. Siegel filed a lawsuit against the owner of the restaurant, the owner of the building, management company of the building, and the company that installed the door. The case settled at mediation. The terms of the settlement are confidential.