Continuing our effort to provide prevention tips to avoid slip and falls in the home, we are providing the following suggestions to assure that your kitchen, bathroom and bedroom are safe:
In the kitchen
1. Assure that items that you need to use frequently are kept on lower shelves, about waist level, to avoid having to use a step stool to reach them.
2. If a step stool is unsteady, get one with a bar to hold onto. Never use a chair as a step stool.
In the bathroom
1. Put a non-slip rubber mat or self-stick strips on the floor of the tub or shower.
2. If you need assistance to get in and out of the tub or on and off of the toilet, have a carpenter install grab bars inside the tub and next to the toilet.
In the bedroom
1. Make sure there is a lamp next to your bed within easy reach so that if you need to get up, you will have adequate light.
2. Make sure there is a nightlight to light you way to the bathroom after dark.