A bicyclist has much less protection than a motorist in an accident, which can make a bike accident with a car particularly traumatic. During this difficult time, it may be hard to think clearly, but it is important to take the proper steps following the accident to ensure your rights are protected.
What to Do After a Bike Accident with a Car
If you get into a bike accident with a car, follow these steps to help protect your rights:
- Check to see if anyone involved requires medical attention.
- Contact the police and wait for them to arrive at the scene.
- Submit your side of the story into the police report, including any injuries sustained.
- Obtain the contact information of the driver and any witnesses at the scene.
- Take photos of the accident scene, including any property damage and injuries.
- Keep all records of your medical treatment and expenses.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney who can guide you through the legal process.
The last step is particularly important, as the legal process of obtaining the fair amount of compensation can be difficult and contested by insurance providers who want to minimize payouts as much as possible.
Do not let an irresponsible driver get away with their negligence. If you have been injured in a bike accident with a car, our team of Washington D.C. personal injury attorneys are here to fight for your rights.
Contact Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. at (202) 659-8600 for a free consultation with our team today.