The Law Offices of Chaikin and Sherman, P.C.
Toll Free -
Phone - 202.659.8600
Fax - 202.659.8680
Car Accidents: Defensive Driving
Washington, DC, Maryland & Virginia
Reckless and aggressive drivers are impossible to avoid on America’s roadways. While you can’t do anything to change the behavior of other drivers, you can drive with a higher level of control and awareness to better protect yourself and avoid car accidents.
Defensive Driving Techniques
The foundation of defensive driving is being prepared. When you drive with sharp attention to the behavior of motorists around you, your reactions to changes in traffic or hazardous road conditions will be safer and more efficient.
Here are some defensive driving tips to keep in mind:
- Always look at least 3 seconds down the road ahead of you.
- Scan the road repeatedly, looking to both sides and in each mirror.
- Anticipate problems, such as cars pulling out from parking lots, children and pets in residential areas, or another driver making a lane change.
- If you do anticipate a problem, remove your foot from the gas pedal and cover your brake pedal.
- Keep both hands on the steering wheel to make sudden maneuvers easier and safer.
- Always have an “out” – never lock yourself into a lane with cars to either side of you.
Consider taking a defensive driving course to receive special training in these and other defensive driving techniques. Many companies and agencies offer courses, and some are even available online. Some automobile insurance companies offer a discount on your insurance if you take a defensive driving course.
A Proven Way of Reducing Car Accidents
Research shows that people who successfully complete a course in defensive driving reduce their likelihood of getting in a car accident by as much as 60%. If you do become involved in an accident with a reckless motorist, being trained in defensive driving techniques can help you minimize the severity of the wreck.
Bad drivers will never cease to be a problem, but if you do your part to drive safely and carefully, you can make the open road that much safer for everyone.
If you have been seriously injured in a car accident because of a reckless driver, please contact our experienced car accident lawyers at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C. today for a free initial consultation. We can help you pursue the justice and compensation you deserve. Serving Washington D.C., Virginia, and Maryland.