Prevention of slip and falls is not just a matter of making sure that your environment is as safe as possible. You can have an effect on the likelihood that you will suffer a slip and fall. There are many things that each of us can do to protect ourselves, as best as we can, from losing our balance and falling. These are some of those actions:
1. Exercise regularly because exercising makes you stronger and improves your balance and coordination.
2. Make sure that your doctor or pharmacist reviews your medicines. Some medicines can make you sleepy or dizzy and a combination of medicines can also have that effect.
3. Make sure your vision is checked by an eye doctor at least once a year. Poor vision can increase your risk of falling.
4. Wear shoes both inside and outside of your house. Avoid going barefoot or wearing slippers because that increases the danger of slipping.
5. Get up slowly after you sit or lay down to assure that you are not dizzy.
6. Make sure that the lighting in your home is clear and bright. Fluorescent bulbs are bright and less costly to use.
7. Paint a contrasting color on the top or edge of all of your steps so you can see the stairs better.
8. Think about wearing an alarm device which will bring you help in case of a fall which you cannot get up from.